Storyline Interactions in Rise having black mobile player

Nov 24, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade my Rise projects with some interactive Storyline Slides. I create the slides in Storyline 360 and publish them to Articulate 360.

But: The integrated slide in Rise always shows the black mobile player as you can see in the screenshot. Is there a work around? I just want the single slide without a specific player. By the way: I already deactivated all the player buttons in Storyline 3 and set the player size to responsive. 

Does anyone has experience with integrating Storyline 360 slides in Rise? 

I wanted to give credit for the beautiful Macbook slider to Montse Anderson: https://community.articulate.com/download/storyline-2-apple-inspired-360-degree-slider 

22 Replies
p-didakt Produktion [1]

Nice. Thanks a lot Alyssa. It seems to be a tablet problem - I get the same screen with your course. Screenshot is in the attachment. So looks like the developer team needs to think of a smarter solution? 

Also, every embed Storyline file needs to be started manually. When open the course there is just a black screen with a start symbol - both on smartphone and on tablet. On the smartphone it then opens the element like it would with a video - black backround and focus on the interaction. On tablet it will show this uncomfortable black frame. 

This was just to describe the situation. If you know about any solution or smarter way to resolve this, please let me know. 

Alyssa Gomez

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, Jessica! Learners will see the standard desktop player for Storyline blocks when they view your Rise course on desktop and laptop computers, and they’ll see the responsive mobile player when they view your course on tablets and smartphones. You can read more on that here.

Learners will also see the start button on iOS devices. Adam shares a bit more information on why you'll see that button in this discussion.

We're continuously exploring new ideas, and customer input is extremely valuable in that process. If you'd like to chime in with your feedback on this or share how you envision this feature working differently, please let us know your thoughts through a feature request. Thanks!

Chantel Nicolay

I agree, this update would be very useful for the platform I am using for our learners.  I have used Storyline 360 in Rise so our learners can take notes, but if they are on a mobile device, they get the play button instead of the notecard.  They simply have to click on the play button and the note sections starts.

Also, I am getting learners that when they are using storyline 360 in Rise, sometimes the advance button is not working properly.  I have four note slides in each of our sessions for the learner to take notes.  Sometimes when they get to the third notecard it goes previous instead of next.  But, other learners are not experiencing the complication in the exact same session.  Any thoughts of what I could look for to make this experience the same for all our learners?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Chantel,

Did you take a look at Adam's response in the other discussion, the play button is expected as detailed here:

what you're describing is the intended behavior for Storyline content on a phone. It's the same approach for how iOS handles videos, for instance. Video gets a play button on the phone and then goes full-screen when clicked. This is done due to the limited real estate on the phone. The same approach is taken for Storyline content. 

For the learners who aren't seeing the correct navigation, do you know what devices or iOS set ups they have? Are they able to consistently recreate the behavior as well? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Marcia!

It sounds like you're referring to the Storyline player, is that correct? I wanted to double check since this is a Rise thread.

If you are referring to Storyline, the responsive player will display a black background around the slide itself if the slide size doesn't fill the mobile screen. You may be able to adjust this setting in the player code, and I'll leave it to the community to share more tips on that!

Crystal Horn

Hi Marcia.  Thanks for talking this through with us.  Even the interactive Storyline block in Rise will show the responsive player if it's being viewed on a mobile device.

Here's how my Storyline block would appear on a desktop or laptop computer (I happened to have a black color scheme for my player):

And here's how it looks on a mobile device with the responsive player:

Is that the black background that you're seeing?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Marcia,

Here's a quick peek at what we'd expect to see when viewing a Storyline Block on a mobile device. 

Prior to pressing the Play button, I don't see any player border around the slide. This is because I have turned off all features in the player. 

After pressing the Play button, I do see black bars above and below the Storyline slide. This is because the slide dimensions are not the same as my mobile screen dimensions. At this time, there isn't a way to chance the black background color you see there.

Hopefully that helps to clear things up. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tony Konig

Different variation of the same problem.  

I publish storyline with a white modern player, and in RISE it puts a black border around it which does not look like the modern player I'm seeing in the other screen captures shared here. This is in Chrome, on a windows laptop. No mobile device testing so far.  

Bradley Fredrick

Hi Caroline, I share your pain. What a disaster. I think that Articulate has some formula for when implementing responsive design on a course block, especially one that's made in Articulate and then plugged into Rise as an Interactive block. I've created extensive app simulations, that started with screenshots from a mobile device. I utilized the exact dimensions, which were 500x1100 to create the storyline course. When importing as Interactive in Rise, I lose 30% of my real estate due to black borders. Even with padding set to 0% top/bottom, it won't stretch even to the top/bottom. I think there is a hidden responsive design algorithm that shrinks according to "something" and then that's what you get. It doesn't factor in your device and maximize the space and stop the size when it maxes out on the width or the height of your viewing device. It'd sure be nice to have adjustments in the settings of the Interactive block other than small, medium, and large which do absolutely nothing for me. I'd love some help if anybody wants to pipe in.