Text on cards in sorting activity is cut-off when viewed on phone

Jul 21, 2017

There is a limit to what I can put on a card, but even if I stay within that limit the last few words of the sentence are cut off the eLearning is used on the phone. What (except for shortening the sentences) can I do?

36 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for reaching out, Mary! Are you seeing that words are cut off in the Tabs blocks layout in Internet Explorer? Could you share a screenshot of what you see on your screen, as well as the version of IE that you're using? 

Since you asked about encouraging the user to view all tabs, try adding a Continue Block below the Tabs block. I think it'll work perfectly for what you're looking to do. ☺️

Michele Liggett

I am also seeing words cut off of my cards for the sorting activity. When I preview my show in FireFox for the phone setting, I only get the first 50 characters. When I drag the card onto the category more characters show up but still not the full text that is entered.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/kypgDKm2W6-jksf28e9ce2U_yA_o4gsr

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Michele, 

What type of phone and OS are you using this course on? We do have an open issue with our QA team, but wanted to be sure I gathered the correct information from you?

I tested it on my iPhone 6S with iOS 10.3 in Safari and it all displayed normally on the iPhone and I could see all the text. Check out the supported browsers for Rise here. 

Michele Liggett

I was reviewing it in Rise Preview as the phone choice. I can't open the Rise link from my Android phone, I get a message that it's not a secure connection.

NOTICE: This message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain sensitive and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof. If you choose to communicate with us by email, you should be aware that the security of incoming Internet email is not secure. We strongly encourage you to use encrypted email when sending sensitive and/or confidential information. By sending sensitive or confidential email messages that are not encrypted, you accept the risks of such lack of security and possible lack of confidentiality. If you elect to communicate from your workplace computer, you also should be aware that your employer and its agents have access to email communications between you and us.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Michele, 

Could you include the "Share" link here for us to take a look? We can check on a few different devices on our team. 

Also, looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email! No worries, this Peek video will show you how to remove it if you don't want it in the public forum. 

Miranda Lane

I think my issue is similar. I am using a flashcard stack with pictures on the front and text on the back. In PC and tablet view it all looks great but in phone view, the text on the back is too big and flows off the cards. Is there any way of fixing this please?  The link is below and you can see the cards in part 1 and part 6. Thanks!

https://rise.articulate.com/share/IuYLJItz8zD6pwEpOHcd-KHpFBThv16F 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Elena. I'm seeing this behavior on iPhones as well. This article describes the data and character limits for the sorting activity, but the text cut-off is not intended. 

We have this behavior documented as a bug, and I'll be able to update this discussion with any changes. 

Alyssa Gomez

I have an update for you, Louise! What you're seeing is not a bug but a limitation of viewing the course on a mobile device

Because of limited screen space on smartphones, each item can have up to three lines of text when viewed in portrait mode, which could be fewer than 80 characters of text. If you're using custom fonts, you may see fewer than three lines. You can preview sorting activities in Rise 360 and switch to mobile portrait mode to make sure all your text displays correctly.

wendy seidman

Hi, I"m experiencing the same issue. And you said it's not a bug, however, when I use the flashcard activity, I can scroll to see the rest of the text.

Can't the same coding be used for the sorting activity? As someone else mentioned, it basically means we can't use it. And that's really frustrating since it's a great way for the learner to interact with the content.

Crystal Horn

Hi, Wendy. I understand the impact on your team. To help you plan, we don't have immediate plans to change the sorting activity text. I'll keep you posted if that changes.

Quick note - when you reply via email, it includes your email signature with contact information in the public discussion.  You can edit it out of the post here if you wish!