The Problems With a Lack of Storyline Block Mobile Autoplay on Rise

Jul 01, 2022

Right folks, this is a bit of a long one. Bear with me...

I am currently trying to create an engaging scenario using Rise, but the lack of options makes this a major issue. Being unable to unblur the background, remove or even replace the dated and cringey characters with my own animated character, which would be more in keeping with my own designs, is just so frustrating.

However, my main gripe is that after reading many of the discussion points made on this over the last few years, the advice given is always that I would be best creating my own scenario using a Storyline block. This is absolutely true. I would LOVE to be able to do this, however around 50% of my learners will be accessing the course via mobile. Which poses me with a big problem.

I have spent a lot of time creating a seamless, engaging and integrated course with multiple Storyline blocks which do things that Rise simply cannot, but the lack of autoplay when it comes to mobile users is a gigantic problem. As you can see via the images below, the use of Storyline in Rise is excellent when only having desktop users, but if your users are on mobile, then the ugly black screen (not to mention the play icon that makes it look like a video) and the bafflingly hidden X to exit those Storyline inserts just make them completely unviable to use.

The explanation for this seems to be that 'autoplay' is not standard on mobile. Okay then? But why does a product like Articulate have to be standard? The reason I use Articulate is because it helps me to set apart my content from the rest, in essence, so it is not standard.

This is so frustrating, as it feels like Rise is a couple of tweaks away from being everything I need to push my courses to the next level, but right now they just cannot get there. I'm very disappointed that after 5 years of people requesting an autoplay for Storyline blocks on mobile, it has been ignored.

I would like to hear why this has not been implemented, without the standard 'that's just because it's standard for mobiles not to autoplay.' To me, it seems like a very important next step for Rise, as more and more learners move towards completing content on demand via a mobile device.

Apologies for the long read!

4 Replies
Brian Cook

Has there been any movement on this?? I too, have issues with mobile viewers and the autoplay issue.

Is there a workaround? Perhaps creating a brief duplicate front slide of the block that auto-advances to the next interactive block. Would that defeat a browser's block on autoplay? I seem to recall that was the issue.

John Morgan

Hi Brian,

Thanks for checking in on this! There currently hasn't been any movement on this feature as we prioritize other items. I'm going to include your voice in the request. We’ll update this discussion if this feature makes it back on our feature roadmap.

As far as workarounds go, here's something that was listed in the feature request.

• Including a block lesson with content and an audio block beneath, with instructions for the learner to play the audio.

I hope this helps!