Unique lesson Code/Identifier

May 07, 2018

Hi,

I am publishing a Rise course to my LMS. I have exported it as a SCORM 1.2 file. When I upload it into my LMS it says that the lesson code has been used before. I think that the issue is that I have duplicated the Rise course and then modified it to create a new course. Is there a way to change the lesson code in the html of the zip file so that when i upload it the lesson code is unique.

Thanks for your help.

15 Replies
Stuart Marshall

Hi - The identifier for all Rise courses appears to be 'r1'. Perhaps there should be an option in the course settings to edit this (the option is there in Storyline). It doesn't appear to be an issue for most LMSs though. I've certainly never had any issues.

If you do want to add your own identifier to get around this issue then you'll find it in the imsmanifest.xml file. If you extract the zip on your desktop you'd be able to edit the identifier there. Note there are 2 places you would need to change it:

<item identifier="i1" identifierref="r1" isvisible="true">

and 

<resource identifier="r1" type="webcontent" adlcp:scormtype="sco" href="scormdriver/indexAPI.html">

If you change each "r1" in these lines to something else (both the same) then it should work for you. You'd just need to re-zip all of your files and then add to your LMS. Note though that you would obviously need to repeat this if you export an update to the module.

Aleksandra Mironchik

Hi Ashley! 

I've just come across the same issue and it doesn't seem to be fixed because I just exported a new course and it turned out to have the same identifier as my previous one. So the workaround explained by Stuart Marshall above is still up to date. It makes sense though to change not only r1 but "organisation id" as well. 

Are you going to fix that?

5 E-Learning Author

Hi Alyssa,

we are running into the same issue with the resource indetifiers causing enormous problems in our LMS.

The general identifier issue seem to be fixed: they vary from course to course. As soon as you dive deeper into the code the identifier remain the same:

No matter which course you export as SCORM 1.2 you will always come to e.g. <item identifier="i1" identifierref="r1" isvisible="true"> The values NEVER change. 

As soon as we update courses or add language versions only a blank screen appears. This seems to be provoked by an inconsistency in the SCORM Syntax you are using in Rise.  Please let me know WHEN and HOW you are going to REALLY fix this issue. 

Chloé Baron

Hi Alyssa, 

I have the same issue than Learning Media5. All my courses have the same identifier="i1" when I export them as SCORM 2004 (4th edition).
When looking at the  latest update released of 2018, May 10, it says that the problem was resolved. But it's clearly not the case for me. Is it normal ? Does anybody else has reported this same problem lately ?
Thanks

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Chloé,

When you update Rise 360 content in your LMS, there's a chance that the course won't resume because the suspend data no longer makes sense between the old version and the new version. It sounds like this is what's happening with your courses. 

We recommend clearing the suspend data when updating a course if you can. If clearing the suspend data isn't possible, your LMS is possibly populating old progress data (from the first version) to the newest version. This causes a blank screen because the data doesn't match. We don't support versioning with suspend data or progress data. 

Hopefully other folks in the community can share how they handle updating courses in their LMS!

Lea Agato

Hi Pierre, thanks for letting us know your courses work in your LMS if they're published in SCORM 1.2 format.  May I know what LMS you're using to host your courses?  Also would you mind sending us a copy of your courses published in SCORM 2004 format? You can do this privately by using this form. Thanks!