14 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi again, Haremi Employee! Apologies for the previous information I provided.  The Tabs blocks fully support WCAG guidelines so you are good to use them.

The only blocks that do not support them are these:

Image and quote carousels
Process interactions
Drag-and-drop interactions (matching and sorting)
Scenario
Charts
Flashcards

Haremi Employee

Thank you Hazel Bartolome, that's great news that tabs are AA-compliant!

Please could you advise further about interactive scenarios? As mentioned, we're looking to create an AA-compliant product and would love to include interactive scenarios in it. In the Accessibility Conformance Report (https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-360-Accessibility-Conformance-Report-VPAT) I have found this:

Scenario blocks don’t currently support alt text. It's coming soon.

Does this mean if we use the interactive 'Scenario', our product wouldn't be AA-compliant? I'm  not sure what a scenario 'block' is and whether this might be different? We'd be looking to use the Scenario with text/dialogue, so not sure where alt text comes in?

Many thanks for your help!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Haremi Employee, correct that is the interactive Scenario Block. 

Alt-text is used to describe images to those with visual disabilities or to further better illustrate an image or situation's context. 

If we make any updates to this or any changes that help, you'll be notified and we'll update our "Accessibility Journey" article.

Haremi Employee

Hi Renz Sevilla, thank you so much for such a swift response!

Just to get it clear in my head (sorry, I'm a Rise novice!), the reason that Interactive Scenarios are not AA-compliant is because, at present, there is no way to add alt text to describe the context in the Scenario?

Apart from this accessibility aspect, do you know if Scenarios work with a screen reader and with keyboard navigation? I have tried the latter myself and it seemed to work fine.

Many thanks for all your guidance!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Haremi Employee, great questions!

You are correct -- currently, there is no way to add alt text to describe the context in the scenario block. For example, you cannot add alt text to describe the character or the background image. 

Scenario blocks are keyboard accessible, and screen readers will read the text within a scenario block.

Please let us know if you have further questions about that! 

Haremi Employee

Hi Alyssa Gomez, and thank you for your further guidance - it is really appreciated!

In the absence of alt-text, could we simply add some context-related text to the introductory text field (underneath the 'Scenario title') - e.g. 'Here is Maggie, a female doctor, who you have visited in her practice. She is going to test your understanding of...'? Please could I check whether the screen-reader reads this? I'm assuming so.

Or would adding this context-related text not be enough to address the problem of alt-text not being present in Interactive Scenarios and therefore not being AA-compliant?

Many thanks for your continued help!