What could cause an XLIFF file to not properly translate the Rise Course?

Jul 07, 2021

Hi, prior to this, I had posed a question on how to work with Rise course translations.  A Rise Staff had proposed using SmartCat as a solution.

To give you more insight, I work with the original courses and they are sent out to the markets to translate. This is done by inhouse staff and not professional translators. We usually work with Storyline files and translating those are very straightforward and far less complex as Rise. 

As we now have to work with Rise Course translations, I have taught the markets how to use SmartCat. 

Original course: 4 courses

Markets: 5

Total number of duplicated courses: 20 courses

These are the steps I followed to translate the files:
1. Duplicate the courses intended for translation by market (JP, KR, VN, TH, TW).

2. Export the XLIFF file for each individual course.

3. Send those XLIFF files to each market.

4. Each market has set up their SmartCat account and I have gone through the steps with them. We are using "Machine Translate with Post-editing" to allow them to localise the content better. 

5. They follow all the steps of working with SmartCat, download the translated XLIFF files and email it back to me. 

6. I import the translated XLIFF files into their specific Rise courses. 

This has worked for languages translated to Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean.

However, there has been glitches for Simplified Chinese where certain parts of the course are still in English or it shows [error]. See Picture 1. 

Another translation I had issue with is Thai. The XLIFF files I received did not translate. Could this have been caused by them renaming the files? See Picture 2. 

Could someone please, in great detail, explain the variables as to which may cause a Rise course to not translate properly, and the best alternate solution for fixing this?

How does XLIFF files in Rise work? Would duplicating the exported XLIFF multiple times before translating it cause it not to work? Would renaming it affect how the file works in relation to the course?

I appreciate any help. If I could speak to a person in real time regarding this, it would be great.

1 Reply
Nick Briggs

Hi Aida,

I understand your frustration above. We have a solution that would suit your currently workflow  perfectly and still allow your in-house translators to undertake all the translation and work with word files negating the need for XLIFF files.

Feel free to drop me an email if you would like to discuss further. nick.briggs@compass-translation.com

Nick