Why can't I hold progress on a knowledge check question that is answered incorrectly?

Sep 06, 2018

This functionality seems like a total no-brainer... what gives? I mean C'mon... most of Rise is pretty well thought out, but this is ridiculous.

28 Replies
Ian Coltman

Not seeing a lot of answers... because there is no good answer.

Why can't I require that a question be answered to complete a section? It's a fundamental instructional design pattern... why?

If its a priority to provide the functionality to require that an accordion be open to progress... why is it not a priority to require something meaningful be accomplished like answering a question to complete a page block?  Let's be real here.

A knowledge check question that just accepts a wrong answer without any requisite control is of little value to my efforts to satisfy the 450,000+ seat annual training audience that I design for... leading me down the dubious path of hacking in a Storyline question instead... hmm.

I would just use a "Quiz" component, but the options for navigating back for material review for each question are non-existent... and the option to add text hints is not a very effective alternative (that just gives them the answer)... we cast a wide net and have effective analytics to lead me to this conclusion.

Any justification for why this is not a priority? I am curious... because requisite control of a knowledge check question really should be in the product already.

If you added this feature, it would be used extensively by your user base... no doubt significantly more than an accordion that forces the student to read information in the form of a drop-down menu.

Warren Zimmerman

Correct / incorrect feedback restricting the user's progress until a correct answer is given would be a huge bonus for the users' experience when taking our courses. The storyline bandaid to produce this functionality is at least something, but it adds the cost of higher maintenance and pretty lame interactivity on a phone. Since we're focusing on mobile as the future of devices, this limitation essentially makes our courses less forward-compatible for operating systems in the future. Please get a dev on this feature as soon as possible, it should be a sprint or two at the most if I may be so bold.

Brent Daviau

I second all that is stated above. This seems like a very basic component of instructional design - not only to throw knowledge checks out there, but to ensure that learning has actually occurred by requiring a correct response before moving forward. Ideally, being able to review the content the user missed and then being required to answer the question correctly to ensure this learning has occurred is pretty basic and should be an option.

Also, I'm curious as to why a perfectly executed message containing nothing more than constructive feedback is "flagged" by the forums. Is constructive feedback not welcome to discuss with other users on these forums?

Ian Coltman

Agreed... this feature is really the lynchpin for wide adoption of Rise for us... and they would be smart to listen... because this is not some feature that would be a "nice have" for our specific development team... its a fundamental capability that is lacking in this product. 

Again these conclusions are driven by analytics and not by creative desire... the lack of this feature is severely impairing our ability to commit fully to a wide adoption of Rise for our nearly half-million seat training audience. If we are facing this issue, I can't imagine other organizations in our industry are not as well... we design our training products to meet the needs of our audience, and we listen closely.

Ian Coltman

Helloooooooooo... anybody out there? Knock, knock... its an experienced instructional designer at your door... are you interested in engaging in an honest discussion about how to make this product more useful? Next year we will be serving training to well over 500,000 seats and we collect data on user experience and user preferences... why are you not interested in hearing from a paying customer with this kind of info?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Ian.  Thanks for the well written description of your experience with the knowledge check block and the continue button.

First, just a little housekeeping.  Welcome to E-Learning Heroes! 😃  We invite everyone in the community to respond to discussions.  Our team reads every post, from oldest to newest.  Sometimes when replies are added to a post, it gets bumped to "newer," and we might not respond right away.

Also, posts can be flagged by other users, or when they contain certain "spammy" elements, or when they're posted quickly in succession.  It looks like none of your posts are flagged currently, so hopefully you have visibility into what you've shared so far.

The continue button will work once a knowledge check has been answered, right or wrong.  I understand it might not feel meaningful for you since you'd like the correctness of the answer to be a factor in allowing users to move forward.

We happily track these sorts of requests, so I'll make sure our team is on the same page that users are looking for more evaluation options with knowledge checks.  We'll be sure to post updates here with any changes!

Ian Coltman

Thank you for your response... this is a matter that I take very seriously because we are considering a large scale adoption of this product... but are now shying away a bit.

Allowing the student to review the course materials while they face certain decision points (in the form of questions) should be a base functionality of Rise. It is fundamental to the development of our training. It should really not even be looked at as a feature, but a requirement for any piece of authoring software intended to support an informed instructional design strategy.

I've been doing this for almost 20 years, and its unfathomable that I can't implement a simple restricted decision-point / review pattern with this framework. It seems like an incredible amount of investment has been made in other elements that are peripheral to core strategies of instructional design... its as if you built a mansion but forgot to install a front door.

Crystal Horn

Hello, Matt! Currently, a knowledge check block just needs to be answered to be considered complete. Once answered, the block will reveal the correct answer and any feedback that you've included as the author.

If you need to restrict navigation through the lesson based on answering a question or two, try a Storyline block! You can create the question interactions in Storyline 360 and set a completion trigger based on answering the question correctly. A continue button beneath the Storyline block will restrict progress until the Storyline interaction is complete. Here's more detail on ways to set that up.

Alternatively, you can include a quiz lesson to more formally check for understanding, and restrict navigation pending success in the quiz.

Matt Illman

Afternoon Crystal,

Thank you for the speedy response. 

I have previously used SL blocks in Rise but it’s not my ideal solution as the stark black colour, particularly on mobile, takes away from the stylish design and flow of Rise. 

I am utilising a marked quiz at the end of my module but was looking to integrate questions throughout earlier lessons and this is where I would have liked the functionality. 

I’ll have a chat with my SMEs and see where they want to take it

Thank you again for the input and hope to see this feature added in future updates 

Stephanie Samargis

Hi Matt
I embed storyline blocks to workaround this issue. You can also create the functionality so that the block executes immediately, rather than a black box sitting on screen. Ive used SL blocks for multiple work-arounds in Rise (such as adding videos with closed captions, etc).

Suzanne van der Merwe

Hi there, I would just like to add my request for this feature in Rise.  I can do the workaround in SL but it would be SO much faster to just insert a Rise knowledge check and add a progress restriction.  Especially if the material is such that there are constantly knowledge-checks spread throughout the course.

That would make so much sense.