xAPI Full Capabilities in Rise

Sep 10, 2019

I'm building a number of Rise modules for a client and they love the platform, however they are looking for a solution that will allow them to capture robust metrics from the learning using xAPI to show how learners are interacting with the content. Examples include tracking Knowledge Check selections and attempts, interaction with audio, video and interactive blocks, etc. Currently the xAPI tracking in Rise is no different than what SCORM provides. Alternatively, could the content be exported in a way that allows developers to add in their own API statements post export? Data and analytics are becoming a massive ask from our clients and I'm still only able to accomplish this by building our own custom platforms. 

100 Replies
Mollie McCormick

Would like to know of the status on this request. RISE is a great rapid e-learning dev tool, but without the ability to control xAPI statements (and output more than basic SCORM), it is hard to justify adoption. xAPI 2.0 is due to be ratified in 2022 by the IEEE as the new standard for interoperable learning data but if designers cannot implement it (it is not truly supported) then the rapid development will be offset by the lack of data we can acquire from our design, and DATA is going to win out in the end. We must be able to measure, report on and improve our learning.   

As designers we must learn to look behind the promises of xAPI support (and we are); it often feels much like buying "Organic" Food. 

Aaron Max Abramowicz

This thread has been open for almost 3 years now...it would be great to know from someone @staff if this is on the roadmap yet (and the progress of it if so), or if this is still a topic that we need to be upvoting? (+1 from me as well, if votes are still needed)

Since there is already a pretty good xAPI statement builder for SL360, (while I'm not a developer) I'm assuming that it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to adapt it as an extra section to the interaction block settings as well.

Scott Szymanski

My vote, as well.

xAPI is something we want to use to track which links are clicked the most so we can update our Rise courses appropriately. I originally saw details online that "Rise supports xAPI", which led me to believe that it supports xAPI functionality beyond simply what SCORM already provides. Sadly, it sounds like that isn't true. There's no reason to use xAPI on Rise if we get essentially what SCORM already outputs. We might use a Storyline block for some of this functionality, but this feels like a band-aid approach.

We'll have to find another solution to track per-link clicks, etc. that xAPI can do but Articulate Rise cannot support.

As a resource for others, Devlin Peck, a member of the community, has written a detailed how-to of using xAPI with Storyline (but not Rise): https://www.devlinpeck.com/tutorials/full-guide-xapi-storyline

Jerry Donney

Rise 360 does support xAPI for Page clicks ("Experienced & progressed tags"), BUT it only reports an unreadable ID URL code to the LRS, not the Page/Unit Title.  That ID number is worthless in the reporting.  The Page Title in the xml file,  so Again I ask Articulate why they can't report that human readable title to the LRS. 

Example:

Jerry Donney experienced 'http://trNN5DPQAKpd4JcdC0GTEKI1idMMX9Zb_rise/J8ronUihB1-PRqoQ__6pDHTQjHm4nDAs'

Jerry Donney progressed 'http://trNN5DPQAKpd4JcdC0GTEKI1idMMX9Zb_rise'