NEW in Rise: Export for Translation

If you need to create courses in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new Rise feature. It allows you to export your course text to an XLIFF file* and then reimport it once it’s been translated. Like magic: all your text is replaced by the translated text. It’s that easy!

NEW in Rise: Export for Translation
*XLIFF files are a translation industry standard, so if you’re working with professional translators, then you shouldn’t have any issues. But what if the translations are being done by a fellow coworker or friend? No problem! If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find a ton of free tools that allow you to easily edit XLIFF files.

 

37 Replies
Cameron Campbell

Hello - the XLIFF implementation seems to be crippled when using translation software like Trados. Translatable text is displayed along with tags as opposed to filtering out tags. 

Here is what I was told by Trados:

"This is not a correct XLIFF. The best way to deal with it would be creating an XML file type with embedded content.
For the XML file type set //* to not translatable and //target to always translatable. Enable "Paragraph" as structure info for //target, set both //* and //target as structure elements.
In the embedded content part use CDATA and Paragraph as those parts, where tags are to be parsed and chose HTML 5 as parser. This way you will have a clean file as it should be."

Can this be looked at/implemented? Trados is an industry standard so compatibility is very important for us.

Julia Deutsch-Goulet

Thank you Cameron for your comment! Our translation team cannot open the XLIFF file or if it does open, it's almost impossible to read with all the tags--very frustrating. Our department uses Trados. Rise support suggested using free web editors, but long term, we can't rely on that solution.

James Peters

Which Windows program do I need to open the XLIFF file? I found Omega T as a free service for uploading the XLIFF file into to work on the translation, but I can't figure out what program to use to open the actual XLIFF file. Can you please walk someone who's not tech savvy through on how to use this translation feature? Thanks. 

Ivor Thynne

Hi Ashley,

Similar to Cameron I have exported the XLIFF  document from my courses and sent them to a pro translation company. They have asked  if it is at all possible to receive XLIFF 2.0 (in UTF-8/unicode) where no HTML entities display in XLIFF?

They think there could be a way of working with the current format but the issues they foresee are as follows:

  • We can only leverage per <target></target> tag pair, rather than per sentence. This means that you are potentially getting less leverage from the previous TM.
• We would end up with mixture of normal characters (in the newly translated section) and HTML entities (leverage from the previous version).
• File processing will take longer as the process is more complex.

Any ideas?

 

 

Ivor Thynne

Hi Leslie, I have another issue now that you might be able to shed some light on.

I have made a number of courses in rise and have been able to export the XLIFF file as I has discussed previously. However for the courses I created in Japanese the system just times out when I try and generate the XLIFF!!

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Ivor

Ivor Thynne

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for getting back to me. No there are no messages I just get "waiting for rise.articulate.com in the bottom left" (see attached)but then after about 5 minutes the browser errors with 504 Gateway Time-out.

This only happens for the 3 Japanese courses. I have the same courses in English, French, Italian German and Spanish and I can extract the XLIFF from all of them, just not the Japanese ones.

Regards

Ivor

 

 

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Ivor,

Thanks for confirming that - I tested the same thing using some random Japanese text I grabbed in Google translate. I also see it just spinning at trying to export the XLIFF file so I'll share this with my team to look into as a bug.

I'll keep you posted here - thanks for bringing it to our attention! 

Also, it seems to only impact the course if the title is in Japanese - so you could try removing that for the time being and then only change it once you're reading to export for LMS or web!