Forum Discussion

HeatherVarney
Community Member
30 days ago

Add additional options to Rise Restricted Navigation settings

Make the Restricted Navigation setting in Rise to have multiple options, such as: Always, First Time Only, Never, maybe an option to add a number instead, etc. This would address the issue many designers have where they need to restrict navigation for first time completion, but allow for open navigation for review/refresher purposes after that. 

MichaelTrevis
    Community Member

I second this!

Maybe this is similar to your suggestion, but it would also be great to be able to restrict navigation starting at a custom point in a Rise course. There are use cases where it would be great for students to freely navigate between, say, the first five lessons, but then require them to go in order from lesson 6 and beyond. To my knowledge, right now there is no graceful way to do this.

An example: an interactive case broken up over multiple weeks, in which each week adds additional lessons to the case. The case includes the previous lessons for review, but students are primarily working on the new lessons. However...

• Unrestricted navigation allows students to freely select any previous lesson they want to review (ideal), but then they can navigate the new lessons out of order (bad, a non-starter);
    • Restricted navigation forces students to go through the content in order (good), but they have to click through every previous lesson to reach the new content (bad)
    • Restricted navigation with a "skip to new lesson" button block is my current workaround, which allows students to quickly reach the new lessons and complete them in order (good), but to review the previous lessons they must click through each of them from the start of the course (bad)

My suggestion of restricted navigation starting at lesson x would allow students to freely select any previous lesson they want to review (ideal), and require completing the new lessons in order (ideal).