Before-After: Accessibility Makeovers in E-Learning #466

E-Learning Accessibility Makeovers #466: Challenge | Recap

Pop quiz: What do you think is the most asked question by course designers in our weekly trainings? Okay, other than "Is this session being recorded?"

If you guessed anything about accessibility, you're correct. Anytime we show a feature, demo, or example, one of the first questions is usually about how it meets accessibility guidelines.

Ideally, accessibility should be considered right from the start of the course design process. However, many courses, examples, and demos were initially built with more focus on design and interaction than accessibility.

That's okay because you can always return and ensure those older projects meet accessibility guidelines. And that's what this week's challenge is all about.

🏆 Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share a before-after example that reworks a short project to make it more accessible.

If you’re just getting started with accessibility, start with something simple like making text accessible with alt text or ensuring a color contrast ratio of 4.5:1.

You can work on a single slide or multiple slides. If you don't have your own projects, you can use slides from the Content Library or our downloads hub. The goal is to practice making courses more accessible.

Inspiration

Check out last year's accessibility makeover challenge for examples:

🧰 Resources

Looking for more information on designing accessible e-learning? The following resources are chock full of practical tips for getting started with the accessible features in Storyline 360 and Rise 360.

Webinars

Articles

For even more on accessibility in e-learning, you can find all our best content in this series:

User Guides

🙌 Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you get started on your accessibility makeovers, check out the creative ways your fellow course designers reworked classroom activities for e-learning:

Converting Classroom Activities to Interactive E-Learning #465

Converting Classroom Activities to E-Learning #465: Challenge | Recap

👋 New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article

📆 Upcoming Challenges

• Challenge #467 (06.28): Using 360° images. See challenge #337 for examples.
  • Challenge #468 (07.05): Drag-and-drop interactions. This will be a general drag-drop challenge, so you can share anything you like. 
42 Comments
Jodi M. Sansone
Angela Thomas
Thierry EMMANUEL
Jesse Wu
Samuel Apata
Chloe Okura
Jared Speight
Jayashree Ravi
Angela Thomas

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but I've been following discussions and weekly challenges for a few weeks now. I love how supportive everyone is and I am in awe of all the talent! I appreciate any suggestions. https://360.articulate.com/review/content/8ee11581-9857-48f1-b5aa-2f9e6b5d6472/review Since I'm still learning, I decided to create an interaction to show ways to improve an original slide (label the parts of the brain) using each POUR principle. Here is what I changed: P - Changed background from white to black and checked contrast using colourcontrast.cc O - Changed drag-and-drop into a drop-down version U - Changed the image alt-text from colors to locations for each section of the brain R - Changed the question instructions from “Label the parts of... Expand

Thierry EMMANUEL
Ron Katz
Chloe Okura
Angela Thomas
Kate Golomshtok
Ange CM
eLearn Dev
Sneha Sivaprakash