Escape rooms are adventure games where a group of players are locked in a room (real world or digital) and tasked with solving a series of puzzles and challenges to unlock a door leading to their escape.
Popular escape techniques include:
- Locks and Keys: Locks and keys are foundational technqiues for unlocking new clues, items, or levels of the game.
- Sequence Puzzles: Players complete tasks or steps by clicking, sliding, dragging, or turning objects in a specific order.
- Hidden Objects: Players search the room for concealed items for solving other puzzles—a good opportunity for drag-to-reveal interactions.
Even if you'd never consider using an escape room-type game in your own courses, they're still a fantastic way to practice advanced techniques. And that's what this week's challenge is all about!
✨ Example of an Escape Room Game
Here’s a fantastic example from Karlis Sprogis of an escape room created in Storyline 360.
Last Week’s Challenge:
Before you reveal your example, check out the creative ways course designers reduce on-screen text and boring bullets in e-learning:
🏆 Challenge of the Week
This week, your challenge is to share an example using escape room techniques. You can choose any theme you like for your demo.
The thing with escape room games is that they can go from tricky to frustrating quickly. Try to find ways to integrate hints, clues, and even cheats into your example.
👋 New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.
📅 Next Week’s Challenge & Webinar
- Next week's challenge #433 (9/19): Using Lightbox Slides in Storyline 360
- Upcoming webinar (9/22): Using Lightbox Slides in Storyline 360
Got an idea for a challenge? Are you interested in doing a webinar showcasing how you made one or more challenge demos? Or do you have some comments for your humble challenge host? Use this anonymous form to share your feedback: https://bit.ly/ElearningChallengeForm.