Knowing how to use variables is essential when you need to present dynamic and personalized learning experiences.
With variables, you can present content based on your learners’ activity, choices, scores, and other defined conditions. And with Storyline's new random number variables you have even more options for designing dynamic e-learning.
Here are just a few examples of what’s possible:
- Sales scenarios that present a new challenge each time the learner visits the course
- Red flags that show random risk events each time a slide is visited
- Customer service scenarios that randomize the number of customers, stock items, or shoplifters
- Food and beverage industry scenarios that randomize the available waitstaff, customers, or food items
- Skill and drill math problems that let learners practice
Using random number variables is just another way to design more dynamic e-learning. And that’s what this week’s challenge is all about.
Challenge of the Week
This week your challenge is to share an example of a random word or number generator that could be used in e-learning courses.
If you’re using an earlier version of Storyline or Studio, or a tool that doesn’t support random number variables, you can still participate!
Create a mock-up or storyboard of an interaction showing how random number variables would work in your design idea. Your entry doesn’t need to be interactive.
If you share an example this week, consider recording a screencast to show others how you built your project. We have a screencast challenge on variables in e-learning. The challenge is still open and active, so you're welcome to cross-post your screencast there as well.
The purpose of this challenge is to show what’s possible with the built-in random number variables.</alert>
- Storyline 360: Random Number Variables
- Share Your Tips for Getting Started with Storyline's Variables #2
Last Week’s Challenge:
Before you randomly approach this week’s challenge, check out the e-learning listicles your fellow community members shared over the past week:
Wishing you a great week, E-Learning Heroes!
New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.