360 Camera recommendations for use with new 360 images feature.

Sep 15, 2021

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for 360 cameras that will create output in the 2:1 aspect ratio that storyline wants for its 360 images? Thanks!

7 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann
  1. You can use a smart phone, many of the Android phones will do 360. 
  2. You can download and use the Google Street View app to do the same.

Those tips above work, but taking pics is cumbersome.

I tested a few cameras. If you want a solid and not very expensive camera, I recommend the Ricoh Theta cameras. They're easy and work well. Get a selfie stick tripod. That camera costs less than $300.

If you want to spend a little more, the Insta360 is a good camera and this one comes with some additional items like the stick and card.

All the 360 cameras I tested basically work the same. What I found to be the key distinction is the software for working with the images and moving them off the device. The low-end cameras that I tested all worked but the software support was a bit shaky. Saving $100 on the camera and then spending hours frustrated after taking the pics isn't worth it to me. 

If you have the money, the Insta360 is worth it.

Hope that helps.

Nancy Hemenway

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max - I tried taking a panoramic photo and add it to Storyline but I get a rendering error. I am not sure how to edit these photos or if you can set the phone to provide 2:1 aspect ratio for photos - can you bring in the Insta360 photos into Storyline? Have you tried it? I have been looking at 360 imaging for a little while but I am really at the beginning of understanding them. 

Thanks - I didn't realize there were lower levels for the Ricoh cameras - I was looking the $1K and have decided I really can't spend that at this stage.

Nancy

Tom Kuhlmann

The 360 cameras all export images that can be imported into the 360 feature in Storyline. As far as cameras, if you can get the money I'd go for the Insta360. However, I use the Ricoh and it works fine and is a bit less expensive.

If you need to make the case for a camera, I'd say that the time you spend piecing images together via your phone or some other method costs more that it does to shoot an image with the camera. You'll make up the cost in two or three images and definitely over one project.