Articulate Storyline 360 crashing after recent Windows 11 update.

Sep 29, 2022

I just recently install the Windows 11 update and Storyline is crashing after it. I can open the app in my computer and work as normal but when I try to Preview slide or scene or even publish the course, the app is closing. It closes without saving the changes. 

Can you help me find a solution to this situation. Much appreciate.  

27 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Martha, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this snag. There could be two things that's causing the behavior, and here's what you can do for each situation: 

A. If only one of your project files is causing Storyline 360 to crash, some form of corrupted data in your project file could be the cause. If this is the case, open a case with our support team and attach your project file there so we can correct your project file for you. 

B. If all of your files are affected, and you are working locally when making changes to your project file, I'd recommend doing a clean install of Articulate 360. Here's how: 

1) Close the Articulate 360 desktop app by right-clicking the Articulate icon in your computer's system tray (by the clock) and choosing "Quit."

2) Go to your Control Panel and uninstall all Articulate 360 apps, including the Articulate 360 desktop app, Peek 360, Replay 360, Storyline 360, and Studio 360.

3) Download and extract this zip file on your computer: http://articulate-360-kb.s3.amazonaws.com/360cleanup.zip

4) Right-click the 360cleanup.bat file and choose "Run as administrator." The script should only take a few seconds to remove all the Articulate files and registry keys from your computer.

5) Reboot your computer.

6) Download the latest Articulate 360 desktop app here: https://360.articulate.com/downloads

7) Right-click the articulate-360.exe file and choose "Run as administrator."

8) Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app and click "Install" beside each authoring app you want to install.

9) Reboot your computer and test your Articulate apps.

Let me know how it goes!

Marcello Molino

Same issue.
I installed Windows 11 version 22H2. Preview doesn't work and the timeline in SlideView doesn't play when I start it.
I did a clean installation of Articulate 360 but the problem occurs randomly on some project files and on others it does not (I tested a dozen on my local hard drive).
I restored the previous version of Windows 11 (21H2) and now all the project files work perfectly.

Kirby Phillips

Same issue. First, I tried the uninstalling and reinstalling of Articulate 360-- which made things worse and Storyline seemed to keep crashing every couple of minutes doing simple things, such as copy and paste (so, addition to the Preview issue). I'm now uninstalling Windows 11 (ARM version, mind you) updates to take it back prior to before the 9/23 update. Hope it works, but its not like we can stop updating Windows indefinitely, so hope Articulate looks into it as well.

John Morgan

Hi Jean Marc,

I'm sorry you're having this issue with bulleted lists crashing Storyline 360! I have opened up a support case on your behalf. You sound be hearing from our support engineers in one business day but usually sooner. Please continue this conversation within the support case.

Thanks for reaching out!

Marcello Molino
Jeffrey Riley

I uninstalled the windows update but the problem is still there. :( 

You have to go back to your previous version of Windows (21H2).

From Microsoft support:

For a limited time after upgrading to Windows 11, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows by selecting Start > Settings > System > Recovery .

Next to Go back , select Go back.

This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings. In most cases, you'll have 10 days to go back.

Luciana Piazza

Thanks for sharing Microsoft's response with Jeffrey and the entire community, Marcello. Very helpful for everyone! 

I see you've also opened a support case and you are working with my colleague Eric. You're in great hands! 

We'll continue your specific conversation over in the support case. 

Have a great afternoon! ✨

Jose Tansengco

Hello All, 

I'm happy to share that today we released Storyline 360 (Build 3.68.28773.0), which includes the fix for the bug below: 

Storyline Crashes when the File Contains Text with Filled Round Bullets when Previewed

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! If you run into any other snags, you can reach our team in this discussion or a support case.