Audio is not working in Preview mode or when published after upgrading to v3.40.22208.0

Jun 02, 2020

Audio is not working when I preview mode or publish a course. If I try to export the audio from Articulate to my desktop, the file is corrupt. I have noticed that when I launch Articulate Storyline, I get an alert from CB Defense stating that C:\program files (x86)\articulate\360\storyline\lame.exe is known malware and is blocked. I looked up this file and it is a media encoder which explains why the audio doesn't work and will not export. I could ask my IT team to see if they can unblock it but the question comes up, what has changed in Articulate that caused the CB Defense to block it. Just to be clear, I had the previous version installed the file worked, I then upgraded to the most recent version and I get the error. It sounds like others in the community are having the same problem so this appears to be systemic with Articulate. At this point, we cannot publish any course and our work has come to a halt.

7 Replies
Jose Rayos

Hi Ren,

I worked with my IT team and they were able to add it to the whitelist and it is now working.  I am guessing Carbon Black has not evaluated the new version yet and so it is automatically flagging it.  Food for thought, could a note be added to the release notes that Lame.exe was upgraded to a newer version given that a few users have reported this issue on the board.

Thank you

Dan Tasota

My IT department is requesting the file hashes for the lame files (lame.exe and lame_enc.dll I assume).  Can you provide those hashes here?  Here is the message from IT:

"The thread points to the problems with Storyline's latest version and an update to the lame.exe. We need to know what are the new filehashes involved so we can do further review. Can you request Articulate to provide us the hashes that need to be whitelisted?"

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Sapphital.

I am sorry you are experiencing issues hearing the audio on a published file. Let me ask you a few questions to narrow down the problem:

• When you publish your file, which option do you choose (Review 360, Web, LMS, etc.)?
  • If publishing for the web or LMS, are you viewing your published content locally (on your hard drive) or after uploading it to a server or Learning Management System?
  • Does the audio start playing if you click on the screen?

If you feel comfortable sharing your .story file publicly in this post or privately with our support team, we will be glad to take a more in-depth look for you.