Can I slow down the audio voice selected in Storyline 360?

Jun 07, 2018

I am using one of the audio voice pre-loaded in Storyline 360 and it seems they are all speaking very fast.  Is there a way to slow their speech?

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we've included important fixes and new features!

One of the new features we've included:

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

182 Replies
Jenny Glenn

Four years later -- has this been implemented, considered? I keep coming up to this forum, and seeing so many intelligent, practical and legitimate requests by professional subscribers and users of the software, requests that would increase our efficiency, workflow: be told it'll be 'put on the list' - four years later, nothing.  And yet, the annual price goes up, and accessibility seems to be the only updates that we hear about.  I'm a little fed up.

Kelly Auner

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community!✨

In the Storyline version 65 update, we released an enhancement where all learners are enabled to interact with videos via accessible controls that match the modern player style, exceed color contrast guidelines, and communicate perfectly with screen readers. This includes the ability to change the playback speed, switch to full-screen mode, and use picture-in-picture mode to move videos to a floating window.

We have a separate feature request logged specifically for the learner to be able to adjust the playback speed of the player so that audio narration can be consumed faster or slower. I'll be sure to add your comments to the case and update you on our progress. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us!

Jeffrey H Harden

This is great news, and much needed. Thanks for the update!

Best Regards,

Jeffrey H. (Jeff) Harden
Management & Program Analyst
FAA Program Management Organization (PMO)
NAS Integration & Infrastructure Solutions (NIIS) | AJM-3122
AJM-3120 Website | EEIS Connect Newsletter
M: 404.937.8043; 404.369.9780

Jozsef Medve

Hi Kelly, yes, thanks, indeed I tried to reply by email and it looks like the link cause problem.
Anyway, here comes my question.

regarding

-------

In the Storyline version 65 update, we released an enhancement where all learners are enabled to interact with videos via accessible controls that match the modern player style, exceed color contrast guidelines, and communicate perfectly with screen readers. This includes the ability to change the playback speed, switch to full-screen mode, and use picture-in-picture mode to move videos to a floating window.

-------

This is great news. But is it necessary to re-publish existing material to benefit from the new features?

Thanks,
József

Jenny Glenn

Hi Kelly,

Thank you and thanks for this update.

To make sure I understand, you are saying that the user has controls to speed up or slow down the speed/tempo? Would I have access to that just looking on a published 360 Review version?

Where specifically would i tell the learners to access these controls?

I have now looked at the Player, the browser options, and I do not seem to find any of these features that you are discussing.  I have an up-to-date Articulate Storyline subscription.  Please advise, thanks.

Can you provide a screenshot of the location and how to set up?

i really appreciate the feedback as we are doing user testing this coming week.

Jenny

Math Notermans

Keep in mind that for now this is only an update for changing the speed of embedded video in Storyline. All other timed elements ( motion paths, entrance animations etc. ) on the Storyline timeline are not aware of the change of speed.

Also watch that the video control bar now will cover the lower part of your video, before the controls showed below the video, thus covering nothing in your video. And its higher then the old video controls. And this all is only true for the Modern Player, the Classic Player uses the old behaviour as before.

Jenny Glenn

Hi Jürgen and Math,

Thank you for showing and for clarifying!  So this is Not for the actual Storyline module playback itself, only for imported videos iinto Storyline. Well that's nice, but not at all what I'm looking for or need at this point. I really appreciate you letting me know, as I was about to tell my client it was doable, and now I see it really isn't.  Maybe in the future?  Best wishes, Jenny

Marc Anderson

You're missing the point.  We - the author - want to manage the speed as we GENERATE the speech from text!  WE want to dictate the speed as it's created, NOT adjust it at the user end (the player side)!   A better text-to-speech engine is what we want - one with the ability to apply emphasis, etc.

Morgan Lehnhardt

100% agree with Marc - the request is for the *creator* to be able to adjust the text-to-speech speed. This would be a one-time adjustment, vs every single user being expected to not only know how to adjust the playback speed, but to actually do it for every single piece of text-to-speech audio in a single course. It is incredibly more efficient for the creator to just do this once and be done. 

Jeffrey H Harden

Agreed - we, the creator need the capability!. It would be nice to have this ability all from within Storyline and not have to use another source and deal with transcript notes, downloading mp3 files, then importing - very time consuming .!

Jeffrey H. (Jeff) Harden

Sent from my iPhone

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

>We - the author - want to manage the speed as we GENERATE the speech from text!

this should be ease, storyline uses - as far as I know* - Amazon Polly for text to speech

and here is the function to change the speed (for the articulate developer)

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/latest/dg/voice-speed-vip.html

Two speed options are available to you when using SSML with Amazon Polly:
  • Preset speeds: x-slow, slow, medium, fast, and x-fast. In these cases, the speed of each option is approximate, depending on your preferred voice. The medium option is the normal speed of the voice.
  • n% of speech rate: any percentage of the speech rate, between 20% and 200% can be used. In these cases, you can choose exactly the speed you want. However, the actual speed of the voice is approximate, depending on the voice you've chosen. 100% is considered to be the normal speed of the voice.

* TCP Connection: Storyline.exe <-> Articulate 360 Desktop Service <-> Amazon Cloudfront

Melissa Moore

Moving this up as I have been needing this function for quite some time, and apparently so has many of the other users. The text to speech function is great to have but only if it is slow enough for the learners to actually have time the time to hear and retain the words that are being spoken. Currently with the audio it creates people tend to have to re-watch every section multiple times to actually hear and retain all of it due to the rate of speed the text to speech audio produces.