Grade not reporting in CANVAS

Feb 19, 2020

CANVAS is not displaying the grade after a learner completes the lesson. An "X" is displayed as a grade instead of a checkmark. Our Storyline file has the following settings:

• SCORM 2004 3rd edition
  • Report status to LMS as passed/incomplete
  • Track using number of slides viewed

Once the SCORM file is uploaded to CANVAS it's setup as a graded file and the display grade on the assignment is complete/incomplete.

As a test, we uploaded the zip file to SCORM Cloud and the file worked correctly.

After not having any luck, we tried adding a complete course button to Storyline which would replace the "track using number of slides viewed" setting, but the results in CANVAS were still the same.....the lesson was not graded. There was an "X" in the grade instead of a checkmark. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

78 Replies
Cynthia Hollingsworth

Hi Everyone -- I was negligent in passing along this news (I was down with COVID). On November 24, I was notified that Instructure had gone through my SCORM packages and found the problem with SCORM passing scores back to Canvas. Instructure has implemented a fix, and in testing last week, I could find no instance where scores were not passed back correctly into Canvas.

Hope this is good news to those who still need it.

Ger Post

Thank you for the update Cynthia. Have been following this thread as we experience similar issues between Canvas and Rise360.

Do you know if the update is also a fix for Rise360 Scorm packages?

And am I correct in assuming that this fix does not update students' records of past modules (Scorm packages)? 

Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

Amy Schuster

Could some please tell me exactly what setting you use to consistency get results. I have used Scorm 2004, (articulate 360). I have a quiz and set the pass rate at 70%. I am using complete/incomplete. I also have a submit the course button on the results slide. About 80% of the students will record fine. Some keep a 0 (they have not finished), others reach the results slide with a passing grade and it still does not show in the gradebook or history. Do I need Java script? Different settings? One other question is it possible for a student to reopen the Storyline without it resetting to 0 (like to review the lesson information)? Even if my students say yes on resume it seems to reset. Also, is it possible to actually retry questions without a reset? Sorry for so many questions. We have been using another LMS that had no problems with these items so I am lost. Please help. We are so frustrated. 

Meriem Chida

Hi Amy - I feel your frustration - I was in your shoes last year and decided to skip quizzes and only use lecture videos for training on a new software. Here is what I used and I hope you find this helpful:

The last slide in my storyline is either Exit or Restart (no submit button)

I export to LMS as a SCORM 2004 package

for Tracking I use "must view all slides" -

Grade as "Passed/Incomplete"

When importing into canvas I import as a graded assignment

Launch in a new Webpage

Grade as % (I used to think it had to match SCORM as pass/incomplete) but it does not

Now if students relaunch they MUST click through all the slides - issues happen when they relaunch and only go over the training video for the software and don't click next to exit - no matter how many times I tell them - It is frustrating for them and me so I wish there was a better way as you stated where if they resume or revisit it does at least keep the highest score....

It does not ... honestly I am almost not willing to go through this again next year ... although they say a thrid time is the charm =(

Amy Schuster

Meriem Chida

Thank you so much for replying!  I really appreciate the help. So how does this record in Canvas? Does that mean it is not in the assignment gradebook or it is a completion only (checkmark) or does it give an actual percent? Also, do you just a quiz in Canvas then or do you still have a quiz in Storyline but just not "count" it? 

In the other LMS Articulate looked and recorded like any other assignment so I am just trying to "get it". Thanks again!!!!

Amy Schuster

Thank you so much Meriem!

One more question for anyone who may have done this. Is there a way to "make it" accurately score a quiz consistency? For most of what I do the solution from Meriem will work great, but I teach accounting and those drag and drop sort of questions really help students "get it". Once they figure out it doesn't actually count, I am not sure they would try as hard.

Meriem Chida

I tip my hat to you for using Storyline in accounting honestly the students are lucky to have you!

I tried the drag and drop in logistics that was such a humbling experience I decided no to do it until Canvas and SCORM get their story aligned gee!

Best wishes Amy – Last year I had to ask students to take a picture of their score and drop it in Canvas which again more work and frustration but at least I could see who did what etc

M.

D Mark Ragg

Hi
I read some peoples' posts that suggested using SCORM 1.2 and that seems to
have helped. I also set up a 0 point assignment which is just an online
submit source so they can upload a screen shot of their results. That way I
can check the grade and correct it. I only have to do that for maybe 1
person.
Mark

Cynthia Hollingsworth

Hi Folks, I can only relate my experience. Instructure found the problem when they examined my SCORM 1.2 packages and implemented a fix. Our SCORM pkgs are set at 100points each and display in the gradebook with a 100% (if completed fully WITH the student clicking the Exit button in the Articulate page), 0% (if completed but the Exit button not used), and a - if the student does not attempt the lesson. 

I did need to reload the SCORM into Canvas but made no other changes. In over a year, we have not had any scores fail to post in Canvas.

Cindy

Amy Schuster

So does this fix it for a quiz or just for tracking? Could you please explain how you set this up? I am looking for the set up (results slide) settings and another other needed data to have a quiz completion record consistency in Canvas. My other LMS did this. I have many Storylines that have interactive quiz questions I don't want to "lose".

Cynthia Hollingsworth

I believe there are different ways to set up the SCORM packages. This is the way it is done here. 

1. Enable SCORM in the Canvas menubar
  2. Click SCORM : Upload the zip file
  3. The SCORM is added to the Canvas assignment using the Submission type "External Tool" and the URL provided by our university "https://scone-prod.us-east-1.insops.net/packages/413481/launch"
  4. Set the assignment type as Graded
  5. Save & Publish each assignment
  6. Add each assignment to Modules and Publish the module.

The students go through the assignment/SCORM package and when finished click the Exit button in Articulate. It displays in the gradebook as 100%. Our faculty only want to verify that the students complete the training, so there is no option for intermediate scores. If students fail to click the Exit button, it records a 0% in the gradebook. If they don't enter the package, the gradebook continues to display a dash.

This package is not set up to be extremely interactive and does not display a results slide to faculty or students, so it's not likely as robust as that which you are using. In fact, it was created by a hospital training group and the zip packages sent to me to implement for our students.

Our progression was fully working packages to intermittently working to seldom working and that was over a period of about a year. When I reported the issue to our Canvas Support Team, they sent a package of my SCORM package to Instructure support. After reviewing the package, Instructure reported that the problem was in their implementation and they repaired it. I reloaded the SCORM packages (not because they said to, but I just felt more comfortable starting from scratch). The packages have consistently scored correctly for students.

Nicole DeSarno

Since the Canvas SCORM update and patch in October, I've had success with the completion tracking accurately reporting to Grades. My modules include quiz questions, but correct answers are not required for completion. I use the Course Complete trigger on the final slide and publish to SCORM 1.2, reporting as passed/incomplete (which results in full credit or 0) and tracking using the course trigger.  

Most of my modules began working again after the patch, but one did need to be re-imported to track correctly. I use the same method to upload to Canvas as Cynthia mentioned above.

Maybe you could track completion with the Course Complete trigger and place this trigger on a slide only accessible once your 70% or higher is achieved on the quiz? With Canvas, I've found there's no guarantee it'll work forever, but it seems like others as well have had better luck tracking this way.