Eyedropper Not Working on Extended Monitors (360)

Dec 18, 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to use the eyedropper in 360, but it's not picking up the correct color I'm trying to eye drop.  For example, when I hover over orange it shows up as green.  I'm on a Lenovo laptop, using Windows 10, connected to multiple monitors.  When I disconnect from the other monitors and just use the laptop, it works just fine.  Any suggestions for making this work on multiple monitors?  The laptop screen is so small!

Thanks!

51 Replies
Vincent Scoma

Hi Everyone,

Great news! 

Today we released the newest version of Storyline 360, build 3.30.19518.0! The issue with the eyedropper not working with multiple monitors has been resolved!  

The first step is to update Storyline 360. Head over to the desktop app and click the "Update" button for Storyline. More detail here.

As always, if you have any questions go ahead and post them in this discussion or reach out to our Support Engineers directly. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for popping in to share your experience with the color picker.

Can you please share what version of Storyline 360 you are currently using? You can check one of two ways:

• From the Articulate 360 Desktop App:

• From Storyline 360:

The previous issue was specific to the color picker not choosing colors as expected and choosing black. Is this what you are seeing as well?

If not, can you describe the 'haphazard' behavior that you are seeing? A Peek 360 screen recording would be especially helpful as well :)

Nadia Zaid

Hi Leslie,

At the time I wrote the post I was using the most current version (i double checked at that time). The next day an update came out and it's now installed. The version I'm using now is 3.38.21861.0. The issue is still present. Here is a Peek. This is recorded on my main screen (my laptop) with a second screen connected. If I disconnect the 2nd screen, this behavior disappears and the color picker works properly.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Nadia!

Thank you for sharing that Peek! I recreated this same interaction on my end and didn't see the same issue. 

You can see my test here:

Since this bug fix has already been released, it would be best to have our Support Engineers take a look. You can use this private upload link to start a case and share the affected file with our team. After submitting a case, you'll hear from our team shortly. 

Nadia Zaid

Hi Lauren, 

It's not an infected file. It happens in any file I work in while the 2nd screen is connected. I don't want to spend more time on this issue but just wanted to make sure the team is aware that there is still a bug and make sure that other users know that the easy workaround is to simply unplug a 2nd screen if they need to use the color picker.

Wally Hobbs

I have this same issue. The color picker does not work on an extended monitor--it appears to be pulling colors from another grid or scale. I have to use the second monitor, accessibility issues, so I've been using hex and rgb codes as a workaround, but it would be a lot faster if the color picker worked on the second monitor.

Storyline is up to date, on Windows 10, learning workarounds.

Wally Hobbs

I have a theory about this: my two monitors are set to the same resolution, but one of them is scaled to 125% because of my wonky eyes. I'm thinking that the eyedropper functions on a 100% scale, maybe, and that's why it picks the wrong color?

For what it's worth, I'm having the eyedropper issue on the monitor scaled to 100%.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for popping in to let us know that you're running into this issue as well, Customer Education Services.

I know you mentioned that you're using the most current version, but if you could grab that Build number for me to confirm, that'd be great!

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

Leslie McKerchie

Thank you for confirming.

In taking a second look and reviewing Nadia's Peek 360 video above, it looks like it may be a new issue happening in Updates 38 and 39.

The original issue was that the color picker would only select black when there were two monitors and this was corrected in Update 30.

Now it sounds like it's choosing colors out of order or incorrectly. Is this what you're seeing as well? I want to be sure to report this new issue so we can test it out.

For Nadia, Wally, and Customer Education Services:

1. Is the color picker choosing the wrong color on the screen when using two monitors or is it choosing black each time?
  2. Is the resolution on each monitor the same and at 100%?
  3. Does the issue go away if you disconnect the second monitor?
Wally Hobbs

Yes, this is basically what I'm seeing, although the problem is inconsistent for me. Right now the color picker is choosing the correct color on my main monitor.

1. It's choosing the wrong color, when I have this inconsistent problem.

2. The resolution on my laptop is 100%, but 125% on my monitor. I use my monitor as my main display, as far as Windows is concerned.

3. Yes, the issue goes away if I disconnect the second monitor.

Thanks so much for staying on top of this intermittent issue!

Customer Education Services

1. It's choosing the wrong color. Sometimes I can tell where I think it's pulling from based on the colors it's choosing, but other times there seems to be no rhyme or reason. 

2. Yes, have tried both on 100% and other settings as well. 

3. Yes, the issue goes away if I don't use my second monitor (which is obviously not a viable solution for me as a designer).

Valesa Clouse

After the last update (10/27/20 3.45.23393.0) my color picker is no longer working correctly. When I try to use the dropper the color selected box is halfway across the page. If I keep working at it I can sometimes manage to select the right color but it doesn't always stay. 

Barbie Kilcoyne

I discovered this same issue just yesterday.  I'm using the most recent version of 360 and once I disconnected my additional monitor  - it works.  However, having two monitors is more convenient when I'm working on projects so it'd be nice to not have to disconnect one to use the software.  Will there be another update to correct this?  

Vincent Scoma

Hi Valesa and Barbie,

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know! 

A couple of questions for you as we dive in here: 

• May I ask what the current Display and Resolution settings are? 
  • Does this happen in every file or just a specific file? 

Currently, I cannot recreate the issue in a new project file running the latest update. Here is what I am seeing when using a second monitor: 

If you can share a file with us where the issue is happening, we are more than happy to take a closer look! You can share files in this thread here, or you’re always welcome to share them privately here. We'll let you know our findings and will delete it after having a closer look.