Fonts in Storyline 360 do not always display correctly

Jan 03, 2024

We have a team of four eLearning developers all working on Storyline files, and we use a custom font in our business. However, we are sometimes having issues with how these fonts display in published files. Usually these issues occur when different users work on a file or publish it, other than the person who authored it.

I presumed originally this was because we may have different versions of the custom font, and so when a user opens the file, Storyline may detect that the font is not installed. However, we receive no prompt in Storyline to say the font is not there.

After lots of testing, the issues only seem to occur when publishing the SCORM. Within the story file the font looks fine, it's available in the list of fonts to be selected, and when previewing the project it looks great. On publish, and depending who publishes it, it may look correct - or it may be substituted with another, sometimes random windings symbols. Multiple users can publish from the same story file, and the results will be different. 

This makes me think that it's all down to whether the font is installed on the machine - but if thats the case, why does it looks correct when authoring and previewing? I'm stumped.

If it makes any difference (or more likely just adds to the complexity) - some of our authors use Windows, others use Windows via Parallel desktop on Mac

1 Reply
Jose Tansengco

Hi Andrew,

It looks like you're experiencing a font display issue that's only happening when your published content is uploaded to your LMS. 

One troubleshooting step that you can do is to test how your course will behave in a different LMS, to see if the behavior is LMS specific. This article explains how you can test your course in SCORM Cloud to compare.

If you can replicate the issue in SCORM Cloud, kindly share a copy of your project and font files here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening. We'll delete it when we're done testing!

If the issue is only happening when the course is uploaded to your LMS and not in SCORM Cloud, please work with your LMS support team and have them check why your fonts are not working properly when uploaded to their environment.