Here is another way we can mask out objects in Storyline 2 & 360

Apr 14, 2017

By using the Scrolling Panel in Storyline we can create some interesting masking techniques. Might be very helpful with animations and interactions. Here is a video showing how to use it:

25 Replies
Trevor White-Miller

We have just switched to html5 output only and dropped flash as everyone in the organisation has IE11 and the html5 of Storyline 3 is so much better than SL2. Then we started hitting problems like the wipe animations no longer worked in IE and mobile (mask animation not supported). This has fixed that problem. I'm sure I'll find some more issues but at least this is one less. Cheers David.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Elena and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

This was posted a while back, but hopefully David is still subscribed here.

You are certainly welcome to reach out to the user directly via the 'Contact Me' option on the user profile if you do not hear back soon.

Feel free to share what you have worked on so far as well via your .story file and someone may be able to pop in and help you out as well :)

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michele!

The scroll panel will only have a scroll bar on the right side if the object inside of the panel is larger than the panel itself. 

Try increasing the size of the scroll panel area so that it is larger than the objects inside of it, and the scroll bar on the right side should disappear.

Bart Collart

This is pretty cool. I realize I'm late to the party on this. I sometimes like to mask text so that lines of text build in sync w/the audio. I find if I shrink my text box height to the height of my top line of text, if I keep the scroll box larger on the bottom, I don't get a scroll bar on the side. I cut and paste the scroll box along my timeline, pulling down on the bottom/increasing the height of the scroll box as I go. Are there easier ways to mask now?

Diarmaid Collins

Hi Bart. I know it's been a while since you posted this but, yeah, unfortunately, there is no real easy mask feature available in Storyline (yet - if ever) apart from the awesome scroll panel trick shown above.

It's hard to imagine what you are describing there but it looks as if you are attempting something like "closed captions", is it? You mention you cut (copy?) and paste the scroll box along the timeline and stretch it to accommodate the new text. 

Could you not just treat each line as its own text box and lay them out as you progress along the timeline? And each line of text could be animated in, making it a little more dynamic and interesting.

This would be easier than inserting text into a scroll panel that could easily be 'scrolled' by a user if they hover over the box and scroll.

I could be wildly off the mark, and apologies if so.