Import and create - How do I create file types for closed captioning for storyline and 360

Aug 03, 2023

How does one create these file types to import for closed captioning? Can these be created from a MS Word document?  How do you make a SRT, VTT, SBV, or SUB? 

Is it possible to do this in Storyline 3? I assume it is possible in 360.

1 Reply
Eric Santos

Hi Katrina,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm happy to share insights on obtaining closed caption files for Storyline.

First, to address your question on whether subtitle files can be created from a Word document. It is possible as there are available *.docx to *.srt or *.vtt converters online. But please note that after conversion, you must manually edit the auto-generated time ranges for the caption to sync to your audio or video. Except if your *.docx file already contains synced time ranges per line.

I recommend uploading your audio or video to a service that does auto-closed captions and downloading the auto-generated caption file that you can use to import. Storyline 360 supports SRT, VTT, SBV, and SUB files generated by third-party captioning services, such as YouTubeAmara, and 3PlayMedia

If you don't have caption files to import, you can create closed captions from scratch using Storyline's built-in editor. 

Please let me know if you have questions!