LMS Reporting

Jun 22, 2021

Hi,

How do I send the results from slides like the attached to my LMS?

I want to take the score provided by a survey in my course and have that score reported to my LMS?  

If I have to rebuild the slide using the freeform tool, I would appreciate any direction on how to do that and maintain the concept of hidden answers.

Thank you!

7 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi A.H.,

To report this interaction to a results slide, it will have to be in a question format, whether graded or freeform. It's also worth noting that quiz interactions themselves can only be inserted on the base layer and cannot be on a slide layer, so you'll want to consider that as you design your setup. 

Hopefully others in the community can chime in with their suggestions on how to report this interaction!

Andrew Hoskins

Thank you for the response.  Based on that response, my first thought to try and mimic what I have is to use the emojis as buttons to send the learner to different slides as opposed to layers.  I could possibly then set up each slide as a quiz question. Do you think that would work?  From there, because I still don't completely understand how the LMS knows to pull from the results slide, is there anything else I would need to do (assuming my idea is sound)?

Andrew Hoskins

Here is my idea for the solution - it is still not quite working.  When the user selects their score and clicks submit, it should be going directly to the Results slide, but instead, it is going to the next slide in sequence.  I am also not seeing the score show up.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, A.H.,

If you only need the courseScore variable to be reported, you can follow the tutorial below, using a How Many survey slide, instead of Short Answer:

Here's what I did to your original file:

• Created a How Many survey slide with the following triggers:
    • Set NumericEntry to CourseScore when the timeline starts
    • Submit How Many when the timeline ends 
  • Added a results slide. I also added a reference to CourseScore for testing purposes.

A little extra from a design point of view: since the survey slide "blinks" before going to the Results slide, I added the emoji picture with three states (happy, sad, or indifferent) and a trigger to match it to a variable called Emoji. The variable changes to 1, 2, or 3 depending on the layer selected on the first slide. 

I tested your file in ScormCloud, and this is what I see reported:

SCORM Cloud Reporting 2021-06-24 at 10.31.24 AM

Attached is the edited file.

Let me know if this works!

Andrew Hoskins

Thank you.  It does work, but I am still a little unclear on why it works.  I would like to better understand the solution.  I understand what is happening on the first slide.  And I understand how you got the emojis to show as appropriate on the second slide.  What I still don't full understand is what these triggers on the second slide do:

Set NumericEntry to variable CourseScore When the timeline starts on this slide

and

Submit How Many When the timeline ends on this slide

I guess it seems like to me, that CourseScore (which is determined by the selection made on slide one) would drive the NumericEntry, but it seems backwards here. 

Thanks again!

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, A.H.,

I'm happy it works! Let me explain it a little better: 

• The second slide is a survey question with a numeric entry. When that type of slide is used, the default trigger is to make the numericEntry variable equal to the typed value. I changed that trigger to be the same as your CourseScore variable from the selection on your first slide (set NumericEntry to variable CourseScore). 
  • Again, on a regular survey question, the user would click submit to send the value they typed in the numeric entry (Submit How Many when the user clicks submit). Instead, I changed it to being submitted automatically (Submit How Many When the timeline ends on this slide)
  • When the timeline ends, the numeric entry, which is now your courseScore variable (trigger1), is submitted (trigger 2).
  • You don't see the Numeric Entry because I covered it with a white rectangle and the emoji picture. If you hide those, you will see what it looked like originally:

Screen Recording 2021-06-24 at 11.38.49 AM

Let me know if this helps!

Bethany Ahlenius

Hello! I made a survey in Storyline and want to report the survey responses to the LMS. What trigger do I select to make it do this? 

I originally had the trigger read "Submit interaction" + likert + when + user clicks + submit. The LMS manager said the results were reported as blank, and when you click back to the quiz from another page, the survey is also blank. The results don't "stick." Why? 

When I change it to "Submit results" the only option is "unassigned." Why?