Minimum completion time on Storyline 360

Dec 17, 2021

Hi all, hoping for some help please!

I have a Storyline 360 course, uploaded to our LMS. Complete/incomplete status is triggered by the percentage of slides viewed. This is a low percentage at 51%. The estimated course duration is 13 minutes.

We're experiencing some users not being able to get a completed status and I wondered if this is because they're clicking through enough slides but doing that really quickly - chasing the completion status instead of engaging with the content. Is there a setting somewhere that prevents the completion status being registered if they're just not spending long enough viewing? (There's no trigger we have set on the course determining completion.) I'm stumped!

Thanks

2 Replies
Judy Nollet

Perhaps the program isn't counting a slide a "viewed" if its timeline doesn't finish? That seems the most likely to me. 

If that's the case, you'd need to make all the timelines as short as possible so they'd complete quicker than someone can click. 

Another option: If you can somehow steer everyone to a closing slide, you could put a Completion trigger on that slide.

Jennifer Brown

Stumbled across this and noticed it's unclear if it's resolved.

A couple questions:  

1. Do you have Learners based in Asia?
  2. Do you have Learners who are working remote?

Some Learners working remote maybe working off WiFi, and there's a higher chance of packet loss when sending data back to your LMS.  This can also occur if you have Learners in Asia with a US-based LMS.

I first encountered this years ago, with very sporadic instances of Learners in Asia not getting credit for completion (compounded by being long courses with restricted navigation).  I wasn't able to replicate it, even if I stayed up and took them at 2am local time. LONG story short is that a combination of telecommunications and national firewalls could cause more packet loss. For example, if someone in Beijing was taking a WBT, that signal would actually go to London then the US because of British Telecom (at least back then).  That could cause packet loss.  It took a LONG time to resolve because those particular courses were created by a third party, and housed on a 3rd party LMS.  The solution was to put in triggers to send progress status for every lesson, and when the quiz was completed.

More recently, with the pandemic and a pivot to remote work, some Learners in my current organization would not get their records updated to reflect completion on the LMS, despite completing the online module. Data wasn't getting received by the LMS when the quiz scores and status were being sent. There are a number of factors that contribute to this on our particular LMS, but the one I couldn't address was someone using their home WiFi. If their connection is spotty and there is packet loss when data is being sent back to the LMS, the LMS may not get all the data it needs to update. I don't think this is likely when the completion is based on number of slides (versus scored/graded materials), but it might.

Something else to check with individuals is confirming that they don't have multiple copies of the material open at the same time.  Shortly after I resolved the Asia Packet Loss issue, I was momentarily stumped when someone who worked in the same office as I wasn't getting credit for completion. After peppering the poor guy with a lot of questions, he eventually mentioned that he had also opened it on his home computer, so the LMS was registering the material as still open. Once he closed it at home, he got the credit.

Hopefully all of this can help you isolate the causes, if you haven't done so already.