Multiplayer game in Storyline 360

Apr 28, 2020

I love to challenge myself and a while ago i planned to get a multiuser / multiplayer setup working inside the major rapid authoring tools i work in. That is Lectora and Storyline. In Lectora i already had this approach working, but the more closed environment of Storyline always hindered me. Still does actually, but atm diving deeply into Storyline 360. And so i got the first step working for creating multi-user experiences in Storyline.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/0a99632c-70e6-4b1f-8406-ed4773b41692/review

Here you can see a screencapture of me showing my multi-user setup. Its far from finished, but as you can see it is a working multiuser approach.  Next steps are offcourse testing this on a LMS and giving the user(s) things to do...and then reflecting that to the other user(s).

28 Replies
Kyle Yates

This concept would be amazing for creating synchronous learning activities.  Would be interested in seeing this process or even a feature for this added by storyline staff.  It would be amazing to be able to create an online "Poker room" setup where there is one storyline slide that all are accessing, but each person has access to their player's buttons only and can see specific information related to their persona.  Or global jeopardy, where people from all around the world interact with the game but their individual buzzer information determines the gameflow.

Math Notermans

As i am working on and off on this concept... its evolving constantly.
On Review i still have issues getting it to work, however the things you mention are possible now.

Both a jeopardy game as Poker rooms are possible to make, 
Here a sample for an financial institute im creating a multiuser concept for at the moment.
https://tiu.talentlms.com/shared/start/key:LZQIDNHR

Login with 'User,Demo' , password for both users 'Welkom123'
Then in another browser window login with 'Math,Test'

Only these 2 logins work for now... but you can drag and drop coins from the top to any of the circles and in realtime you see them update...

Kyle Yates

This is awesome :)  And the only two programs you're using to do this are Articulate and the LMS?  Anyway, thank you for the reply.  You appear to be the only one with a solution like this so I'll be very interested to see how it goes once you have it worked out.  Appreciate your contributions to the community.

Math Notermans

At the end of Februar 2022 im going to Valencia giving workshops 'Elearning and Gamification' to University students there. Focus now is on getting work ready for then. Ofcourse Storyline, GSAP and games are my main focus. When back i will regularly post more about games and gamification in Storyline.

Math Notermans

Yeah got plans for that. Do get your Javascript skills up to par... as it is Javascript heavy. Some prerequisites are...

- upfront do know how to debug Javascript in/with Storyline
- have basic Javascript skills
- know how to add external Javascript libraries in Storyline

Will get started with this soon.

Math Notermans

Yeah, but im afraid the TalentLMS demo doesnot work anymore due to expiration of the TalentLMS account. Im planning to give several 1 day summer workshops where attendants get all basics for creating a multiplayer game in Storyline. For now in the Netherlands and Belgium. Ofcourse with enough interest i probably make it available online too.