NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Review and Retry Incorrect Questions

Dec 18, 2018

Last week we announced an exciting new batch of features for Articulate 360. And today we released one of those new features for Storyline 360: review and retry incorrect questions.

Now you can challenge learners to review and retry only the questions in your quizzes that they got wrong. That way, they don’t have to revisit the questions they get right.

Here’s a quick example of this feature in action:

To learn more, check out this tutorial. We hope you love how this new feature helps your learners improve their knowledge.

Enjoy!

53 Replies
Susi B
Wendy Farmer

Hi Kellie

is the slide revisit option set to 'reset to initial state' that may be why it's showing as incorrect - try automatically decide - also is it checked on the results slide to be included?. If you can share the story file someone may be able to help you.

I had the same problem. My slides were set to "reset to initial state" and it was solved by setting it to "automatically decide". But if you want to use a custom build slide, I think it is nessecary to reset a slide too. So this should work no matter which of these 2 settings you choose.

FYI: I used a questionbank and tested with 80% pass score, 3 questions to be drawn from 15 questions. First time I got 1 right (not the first slide) > 33% correct. Second time got another one right (first slide) > 66% correct BUT after retrying had both slides again like after the first try.

Soren J Birch

Does this still require the quiz questions to be daisy chained, or can I distribute those across a scene or even the whole project? I have previously abandoned using the review feature, because people are thrown to the first question, but then they have to wade through the rest of the course to find question #2, unless all questions are in succession.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Kaustubh, happy to help!

It sounds like you have selected the "retry only incorrect questions" setting, but but you still see the Drag-and-Drop question even when it is answered correctly.

With your permission, we can take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. We'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting. If that works for you, you can upload your file privately to our support team here. We'll give it a test and let you know what we find!

EMS Training

I am having a new issue with retry only incorrect. 

I am trying to set up a kind of ANKI deck where it automatically goes back to the cards that were incorrect by using "when timeline starts" on the reset results and jump to first slide and putting that on the failure layer.  When I do these actions from a button  on that layer they function as expected.  If I use "when timeline ends" as a trigger all is fine as well but then I have a delay of course.  When I do them in the same order but "when timeline starts" on that layer two things happen. 

1. it only allows one more attempt.  It does not reset results after the second attempt.

2. If you score 100% (the pass mark set) on the second attempt it goes into fits and flashes between the base layer and the failure layer, even though it is a pass.

I have attached the file with it set up when timeline starts to view.  If you change that back to on click of the retry quiz button everything is fine.

The real card set it using drag and drop so I thought that may have been the issue but I changed them out to 3 t/f and still the same behaviour.

Thanks

Tim

Alyssa Gomez

Hi EMS Training, 

Thanks for including the sample file! All you need to do is adjust the revisiting behavior on the result slide base layer and Failure layer. Here's how:

• Go to the result slide and open Slide Properties. Change the "when revisiting" setting to Reset to Initial State.
  • Go to the Failure layer and open Layer Properties.  Change the "when revisiting" setting to Reset to Initial State.

Give that a try, and let me know if that solves it!

Thomas Whittaker

Hi,

I've encountered a query where having "Retry Incorrect Answers" ticked on the Results slide stops the feedback layers from showing up on a second attempt. This has also made it possible to click through the incorrect answers on a second attempt, with no requirement/restriction to answers them.

I have checked all the settings, and cannot find anything that could be causing this.

Please can someone advise any solutions.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Thomas!

Do you see this trigger on the result slide? Reset results [result slide] when the user clicks the Retry button. 

I'd be happy to take a closer look at your file if you don't mind sharing it. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Thomas,

Is that trigger present prior to jumping back to your quiz slides? We'd want to be sure that the trigger had a chance to fire.

I understand if you have a policy, and our support team can sign an NDA if needed. 

Another option is to remove the confidential information for us to check the functionality.

Nick Martinez

I have a check your knowledge question in a course that has three attempts. If the learner doesn't get  the question correct on the third attempt we want him/her to see the "post quiz review" option pop-up with feedback about the correct information however it doesn't seem to work even though I have it selected in the question. Is there something else I need to do in order for this to work because right now my course just moves onto the next slide rather than doing what i need it to do which is, showcase the right information. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Nick!

The Post Quiz Review feedback will appear only when the learner clicks the Review Quiz button from the result slide. 

Instead, I would put the feedback about the correct information on the Incorrect layer. For the first two attempts, the learner will see the Try Again layer. After the third attempt, they'll see the Incorrect layer, and they'll move on to the next question.

Let me know if that would work for you!