Publishing to Word Doc doesn't work in Storyline 360

Aug 15, 2017

I am unable to publish my Storyline 360 presentation to Word. When I select the option in the publish settings, it takes all of 2 seconds and tells me it is done, but when I look at what was published there is nothing in the folder. I am able to publish to LMS and web just fine.

120 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Emily, thanks for reaching out!  I was able to publish your project to Word, and I attached the document here. 

What version of Microsoft Office is installed on your computer?

If you've got 2010 or later, double check that you don't have custom File Block Settings enabled:

1. Open an existing Word document or create a new one.
  2. Go to the File tab on the ribbon and click Options.
  3. Select the Trust Center tab on the left side of the window.
  4. Click the Trust Center Settings button on the right side of the window.
  5. Select the File Block Settings tab on the left side of the window.
  6. Click Restore Defaults in the lower right corner.
  7. Click OK three times to save your changes and exit Word Options.
  8. Republish your Articulate Storyline course.

Let me know if that works!

Amy Adair-Gregory

When attempting to publish to Word in Storyline 360 I am receiving an error saying that the file is open in another instance or that I do not have permission to do so....I completed the above mentioned steps and am still not able to publish to word.  Please help.

**Updated my SL360 app after working through the listed steps above and I am able to publish to word!

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for the screenshot, Rex! I have a few questions to help me narrow this down:

• In Storyline 360, go to Help then About Storyline. What exact version of Storyline 360 are you using?
  • Are you able to publish to Word in a newly created file? 
  • Does it make a difference if you change the target folder to your desktop?
Elena Semeyko

Hello Alyssa,

I have the same issue as Rex.

Settings:
Windows 7 Professional
Microsoft Word 2016
Articulate Storyline 3.10.13923.0

Publishing a newly created Storyline, changing Word Options to Defaults and the folder to Desktop didn't make any difference.

Is there anything else I should try? Thank you.

Christine Love

No this time I am not getting an error message (I did when this happened with the first update). I have a coworker running a previous STL build that is able to publish successfully to Word (2016). Basically the publish happens instantaneously, with the "view document" prompt options appearing immediately. However when you go to view the document, nothing was published or appears. None of the options work and no Word doc is created. 

I will add that our organization moved to Office 360 between the occurrences of this error.