Question Bank

Feb 08, 2017

I've found in SL2 and SL360 that if a question bank is set to draw 1 random question... referring to the "Draw from question bank" multiple times will ALWAYS draw the same question.

To get a different random question, it is necessary to refer to a separate "Draw from question bank".

Is this a feature and how is this useful to draw the same question every time?

12 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sam,

More than one question draw (from the same bank)  or a retry of the question draw should allow for new questions to appear, but as Phil mentioned a review of the question bank should be showing you the ones you had previously seen. 

We fixed this in Storyline 360 to match the HTML5 output to the Flash output, i.e., draw a new set of questions for each retry. If you have a file that isn't behaving as you'd expect based on that are you able to share a copy of the .story file with our team? 

Sam Carter

My misunderstanding.  Once a random question is answered, it is in review mode.  It isn't displaying the same question to be answered, it is displaying the question previously answered.

This means that my 50 question bank has to have 50 "draw from" instances.  It will make for a messy story view but it will get the job done.

Mark Mc Donald

I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem that Sam had: How to repeatedly visit a question bank draw and draw a different random question each time. (It's set to draw one random question.)

At the moment the first question I draw is then drawn repeatedly on subsequent visits. It's an ungraded quiz and Sam's solution was to "put a result slide in an unused scene and voila!" but after doing that there's no voila moment for me... just the same question still repeating. (In each preview it is a different question, so the question bank randomizer function seems to be working.)

1. What kind of result slide was he and Phil referring to? (The results of that draw?)

2. Where would be the best place to put it? (It's own scene or any scene but the one with the question bank draw?) 

Any help would be appreciated

Jose Tansengco

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

I tested the behavior using a question bank with 3 sample questions, and I was able to observe that a random question is drawn each time I previewed the entire course. You'll want to make sure that the 'Draw questions randomly' is enabled for you. 

Here's a link to the sample published course that I used for testing. If you have the random option enabled for your course, would you be willing to upload a copy of it here or in private by opening a support case so I can test your file on my end to figure out what's happening? 

Mark Mc Donald

Hi Joe

I see you've responded to all three of my queries about question banks. Your attention is much appreciated. In response to your effort, I've now made some effort of my own and made a sample of the issue I was asking about. (Unfortunately, I am unable to share the original file that I am working on.)

You seem to be a hands-on person so I figured you would get a better idea of the situation by seeing a real-life example. Hope it's clear.

Best wishes, Mark

PS As I mentioned in another post, it seems Articulate probably wasn't designed to do the sort of thing I want to do

Jose Tansengco

Hey Mark, 

Thanks for the additional information. This helped me get a better idea of what you were trying to achieve. The way to consistently get a different question when revisiting a question bank is to include a results slide and then reset the results using a 'Reset results' trigger before revisiting the question bank. Taking a look at your project file shows that this approach isn't an option because of the design of your slides. 

One method that I've tested which showed positive results during testing is to have multiple question banks instead of just one. Each slide in Scene 1 will have its own question bank, which reduces the chances of a learner receiving an already answered question slide. 

If you want to completely eliminate the chances of questions repeating, then you can just assign different questions for each question bank, and link each one to a slide in Scene 1. 

Let me know if this works for you! 

Moritz Weber

Hello,

I had the same issue just now.

Here is a solution:

You add a blank results slide anywhere in your course and you link all your question-draws to it. You will never show that results-slide to the user. It's just technical necessary.

Then, on the slide just before your first draw-question slide you add the trigger "reset results" from that newly added results-slide when timeline starts.

Everytime you repeat the question-draws it will pull a new question, because the draw is reseted...

That should be it :)

Best regards, Moritz