Ribbon

Mar 09, 2015

My ribbon containing the editing tools has taken upon itself to minimise in all windows (main window, preview, etc).

Can anyone tell me how to keep it maximised by default?

(It's amazing how the little things really gnaw away at you!!)

Steve

18 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve and Wendy,

I'm sorry to hear about this behavior in Storyline (and the potential political drama!) - can you share an image of what this looks like? Also have you looked at going through the repair steps - or did you already do this and it's the same behavior? Additionally, I also assume you checked the DPI setting? 

Steve Lyne

No, Ashley.  Things are still a blur.

1. Why the ribbon would naturally default to minimised without instruction so to do
  2. Why the ribbon would revert to its natural default state of maximised, again without any leave to do so
  3. Why someone from NSW would live in Queensland.

I do think we could add the verb "to SL" to the e-learning lexicon, along with its participles of "SLed", "SLing", and "SLs". 

Thanks for your interest.  Have you come across anyone else with this issue?

Steve

Tamworth

NSW!!

Australia

Hi Steve,

I can't say I've ever seen the Storyline ribbon become minimized - so how it would happen is a bit of a mystery to me. Did you happen to grab a screenshot of this before it came back? Often a reboot of Storyline or your system is a good solution as it just gives everything a reset. 

I haven't seen this in Storyline - although within Presenter you'll sometimes lose access to the ribbon and that typically involves a repair of the software. If you see it again (I hope not) can you take a screenshot and share it with us here? 

Steve Lyne

Hi Ashley,

I didn't take a screen shot as there was nothing unusual to see, other than when you opened up Preview (for example), the ribbon was minimised.  So to close the preview you needed to maximise the ribbon to see the exit button.   When you were taken back to the main screen the same thing occurred.  

It was odd that it happened at exactly the same time for Wendy and me -  I was wondering if it had something to do with a Windows update that would have happened overnight (our time).  And maybe a subsequent update (over the next night) fixed it.  That would account for why it happened simultaneously for both of us in Australia.

Also, both of us did the reboot thing. Didn't fix it.  But, it's now 1am NSW time, so my memory is getting a little hazy.

Hi Steve,

I can't speak to the weirdness of things in Australia, I mean you eat Vegemite, willingly. :-) 

Are you able to see somewhere such as in your system if there was an update? If you minimize it within a particular project and then open a brand new project it typically always reappears - so that's where the reboot would come in handy - but you're saying it didn't fix the issue for you? Just was fixed over night with leaving Storyline open? 

Steve Lyne

As your own Merle Haggard said "You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me" if you knock vegemite. (You're probably too young to know who he is!).

I couldn't relate the fix to any reboot, changing projects, etc, all of which I did.  It seemed software related, rather than specific project or .story file related.

I may have been wrong about the Windows updates.  Attached is the table from the Windows Updates log - looks like the last update was in Feb.  And I think Java updates happen on Wednesdays.

Off to have a few Jatz and vegemite - perfect.

I have a vague knowledge of who he is... :-)

Yeah, I don't see anything in those updates either - but I do know that it's a an easy enough thing to turn off and be unsure how to get it back. I've done it myself for sure. The chances of you and Wendy doing it at the same time, are certainly improbable...but not impossible. 

Please keep us posted if you run into it again!

Wendy Farmer

Steve, Steve, Steve

I moved to Qld for family reasons...met a boy...and the rest as they say is history.  BUT, you have to believe I am fighting tooth and nail to return south to NSW or even further south VIC (I can hear your squeals of nooooooo....why would she move to VIC)...

Now back to the case of the rascally ribbon...

Screenshots: Open /Closed

My ribbon was opening/closing each time I did any action on a slide like try and change the font.  So it would be open, I would access the font size dropdown - make the change, it would then close, I would be back on my slide, need to do something else, as I moved my mouse over the ribbon it would open, I did the action, moved it away it would close.  It wasn't isolated to one particular slide.  I did close SL and reboot but no joy.  Then I had to go out for a couple of hours, I closed out of SL, and when I came back and reopened it - all was well with the world.

I checked and the minimise ribbon option was not checked.  It's like it was flicking between the two

Hi Wendy,

That behavior sounds like the normal minimize ribbon behavior in that it's reacting only when hovered over - how it got in that state is the more curious element. 

Glad a restart resolved it - and if it occurs again please let us know what you were doing just prior and hopefully we'll be able to track it down further. 

Karen  Kasper

I came here for the actual answer to this question, which is frustratingly not given. Fortunately, I figured it out, so I give it to you.

Right-click any tab on the ribbon, then deselect "Minimize the ribbon."

Given that it's been 7 years, I hope you Aussies have straightened out your politics. Sadly, American politics have only gotten worse.