storyline 360 can't save my project (low memory error)

Feb 22, 2018

Hello,

I'm working on some project. I have done 5-4 slides. Sudenly SL360 starts to work very, very, very slow (almost can't do anything in it). I can't even save my project. It's happening to me few times already after working with one file for 3-4 hours. I'm sending screenshots from two errors (I'm getting those when I try to save my project). I have 32 GB of ram, so it's not a problem. I'm working on windows 10 64bit.

My slides contain: 4 photos, 15-20 buttons, 15-20 text files, few shape objects, 10-15 layers with one audio.

edit: SL360 starts working slower gradually.
When I reopen my file, it's all good and program takes only 400MB from memory. I think taht problems start when it's reaching ~3GB of RAM.

78 Replies
Rogenel Bautista

Hi Maciej,

Storyline 360 is a 32-bit application and Windows limits 32-bit applications to only use 2GB of RAM.

However in your case, it seems that the memory consumption is indeed quite too high for the size of your project.

Also ensure that your are saving the project on your local drive. Working on a mapped network drive or a USB drive can cause resource conflicts and the inability to save or publish.

Maciej Masior

I'm working on local drive.
Its soooooooo frustrating when I have to restart program after some edit/create objects jobs. When I'm not restarting SL360 its getting slower and slower and bugs start to appear like: when you try to select multiple groups then sudennly some groups are moving 100 pixels to left or just elements in those groups getting smaller or bigger or moving where they want.

This program have some serious memory problem (leak?)

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Maciej and James, 

Storyline 2 is a 32-bit application.  More specifically:

• Storyline 2 is Large-Address Aware, which means that it can access up to 4 GB RAM rather than the default limit of 2 GB for a 32-bit process.
  • Storyline 2 does not explicitly take advantage of multiple processor cores at this time, although we continue to focus on performance improvements for future updates.

If you're running into performance issues with Storyline 360, specifically the "available memory is low" error, our Support team is hoping to find additional examples and information of what could be causing this error by working with individuals one on one. Can you reach out to them here? 

James  Bennett

Thanks for that info Ashley, I believe we're all experiencing these memory and slow down issues on SL360.

I'll submit a case on the link you provided but may find it difficult to submit examples as it is fairly infrequent, maybe a couple times a week on specific projects for ~40 hours a week.

Wendy Farmer

HI Ashley 

I've been working on a project file for the past two weeks and it was only yesterday I got this message half a dozen times over a few hours.  I was saving after every few slides so I didn't lose much as I had a deadline yesterday. File size is 84MB.

I know there is a SL360 update I need to install but I am still running SL360 v3.12.14647.0 as I don't like to upgrade mid project (I've been caught out before).

Maciej Masior

I'm always working on the latest version of SL360.
Now I'm just saving a lot and restart program after finish every slide.
I started to look into task menager (windows) from time to time and when it's close to 2GB (memory), I restart program too.

When SL360 starts working very slow I restart it too.

Mark Colomb

I can echo the same issues as the others. I am using SL360 on one of our engineering systems with an Xeon processor, 32 GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. All my projects are on my local drive until complete, when I then place them on the network drive for storage.

This seemed to have started about ten days to two weeks ago when there was an update to SL360. I have several video clips in the project and the file size is about 3GB. 

My IT section ha ruled out any hardware issues. Are you working on a solution? What is the timeline?

Hi Wendy, Mark, and James,

I'm sorry you've hit this too. 😕

It's really important to us that we make progress on this performance problem.  We're working hard to nail down reproducible scenarios, and we still need your help.

If you haven't done so already, please send us .story project files that demonstrate the problem, and/or Peek videos that show us how to make it happen.  AND, if you can please share your Case Number in this forum thread after doing so, I'll make sure it's connected to this discussion so our team is aware of the steps you've already tried.

Thanks! 

Hi Nancy and Brant,

I'm sorry this has plagued you too. Our team is chasing these performance issues down, and we could use your help! Can you connect with our Support Engineers here and let me know once you do, I'll make sure it gets to the right team. 

We'll keep everyone posted here as we continue to investigate!