Storyline 360 closes suddenly

Apr 17, 2019

Hello everybody,

we are Pretty new and almost happy users of Storyline 360 since a couple of weeks.

And since two days we have the latest update.

We experienced a very sad issue - once in a while Storyline 360 Closes suddenly and my colleagues files are destroyed and not findable anymore. And my files just didn't have the last editing Status.

Can you help us?

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Oh no, Sarah!

So glad that you've reached out and I'd be happy to help you track down the culprit to this behavior that you are experiencing.

Are you working locally with your software and project files?

• If not, this may be why you are experiencing the behavior you are seeing.
  • If so, I'd advise a repair of your software.

There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). Consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files.

Donna Cobbs

I am also having this issue for last two days, I am working on a story, 10 scenes and I will record an audio for the slide and I get prompted to save and it closes.   It is not happening once in awhile is a constant issue.   It is difficult to get my work done.   I have the latest update as well.   I have closed, I have rebooted, and still there is this issue

Becca Levan

Hello Donna, and thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear you're facing a similar issue, and it sounds like you've already tried a couple of things to try to resolve this. 

From here, I'd recommend submitting a case with our team to work directly with one of our support engineers. If you could share your file, it would be helpful to test things on their end and then reach out with a next step!