Storyline 360 crash - HELP!

May 10, 2022

I just had a crash yesterday while editing a video. After restarting my computer (Windows 10) and restarting Storyline, I see my project but when I try to open it, the message says that the project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened.  It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline. I have automatic updates checked and auto-recovery set for every 10 minutes. I have a backup from the same day and it also says it is corrupt or in use by another application.

I don't see any temp files stored anywhere. Where are the auto-recovery files stored? 

6 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ron. I'm sorry to hear you have a corrupt file!

You will need the .story file if you want to make changes to the project. While there isn't a way to download the source file from a published project/ Review 360, you can check to see if the file is in your temp folder:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of the project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

I hope this helps! 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Ron, 

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your files. As mentioned by my colleague, the Storyline 360 temp files are saved in this directory: 

%appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

If they are no longer there, then something must have cleared the files in the temp folder. You also mentioned that you are searching for the published output of your course. The default location for all published Articulate projects is 'Documents\My Articulate Projects', have you tried checking this folder to see if the missing published file that you are looking for is there?

If you require further assistance, please feel free to reach out to our support team here and we'll be glad to continue troubleshooting this issue through a support case with you.  

Ron  Kirsch

The My Articulate Projects folder contains 2 folders: Storyline Templates and Webcam Captures both of which are empty.

Regards,
Ron

Ron A. Kirsch, Ph.D.

President

OHS Associates LLC

Ron.Kirsch@OHSAssociates.com

Connect with us:

[LinkedIn icon] [Facebook icon] [iSpring Blog icon]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ron.

I see you're working with Ian on a support case, and he has requested your Articulate 360 logs to continue investigating this issue. 

I just wanted to add a quick note: it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove it by clicking ‘Edit’ below your response. Here’s a quick Peek 360 video if you need help.