Storyline 360 does not import slide master correctly

Jul 14, 2023

After importing the attached .pptx file into the latest version of Storyline 360, there are 2 errors on the slide master for my title slide:

1. Four objects are duplicated on the timeline - they show up twice!  I have to manually hide or delete them from the timeline.

2. The text at the bottom is 8pt in the PowerPoint, but when imported to Articulate it is changed to 14pt.  Again, I have to manually edit this.

These seems like bugs to me. Can you reproduce this behavior? 

Pinned Reply
Luciana Piazza

Hello, Laura!  ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (3.81.31200.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Storyline 360 didn't always preserve text formatting when using custom slide layouts or importing PowerPoint slide masters.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

6 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Laura!

It sounds like you were having some issues with font size and duplication when importing PowerPoint slides into Storyline. I'd be happy to help with that!

Thanks for sharing your PPT file! Testing this out on my end I was unable to reproduce the behavior you mentioned first. I recorded a quick Peek to show that the objects on the title slide did not duplicate after importing them to Storyline.

• To clarify, could you confirm that you're working locally (typically on the C: drive)? Working on a network drive or an external (USB) drive is known to sometimes cause erratic behavior.
    • Are objects importing duplicated something that occurs across all projects or just this one specifically?

Regarding the font size, I did a test on my end by creating a PowerPoint slide with a specific font size which I then imported to a Storyline 360 project file. I can confirm that I was able to observe the same behavior that you did where the font size from the layout did not get applied.

These scaling issues are due to the fact that PowerPoint and Storyline are set to different slide sizes by default. We are actively tracking this behavior and will update this discussion as soon as there is any news to share.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Laura Finneran

Thanks Stephen - 

I am working completely on the C: drive.

Re: element duplication:

When viewing that title slide, you have to click the View menu and choose Slide Master.

Then you'll see what I'm talking about.

Re: font size changing:

Our default slide size in Storyline is 1280 x 720 (not 1920 x 1080 like Matthew's video), so the PowerPoint slides and the Storyline slides are already the same size and his font size workaround doesn't apply to us.

Eric Santos

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply; I'm happy to chime in! I tried to import your PowerPoint file to Storyline using a slide size of 1280x720 and confirmed that the bottom text was scaled to 14pt instead of 8pt. I agree with Steven that this is an existing bug we are currently monitoring. We've shared your findings with the team and will notify you of any changes. Here's a peek into our process:

Regarding the duplicated objects in the Storyline import, it appears they are also duplicated in the source PowerPoint file, as shown below.

duplicate PowerPoint objects

I'd remove the duplicates in PowerPoint before importing the slides. Let me know if you have questions!

Luciana Piazza

Hello, Laura!  ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (3.81.31200.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Storyline 360 didn't always preserve text formatting when using custom slide layouts or importing PowerPoint slide masters.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day!