Storyline 360 quiz timers

Apr 30, 2020

I am working on a module that includes a question bank with 41 questions. My client wants to provide up to 3 quizzes, each based on a different random draw from the same question bank, each draw consisting of 30 questions. If a user passes Quiz 1, no further attempts are necessary; if the user fails Attempt 1 and passes Attempt 2, the third attempt isn't necessary, and then Attempt 3 is the user's last chance.

The client also wants the quizzes timed, allowing different time allotments for each attempt - a longer time for the first attempt and shorter times for the second and third attempts.

So far my testing seems to show that even though I set up a timer on each of my 3 results slides, it's the timer on Results Slide 3 that controls the whole shebang. I had set each of the 3 timers to start "on the first question," assuming that meant the first question in the pertinent question bank draw, but got the one continuous timer set to the time specified for Results 3.

Am I missing something? I'll be thankful for any guidance.

5 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Patrice,

I am sorry that you are experiencing quiz timer inconsistency in your course when using quiz banks

We have reported it to our team as a bug, and continue to keep an eye on it to evaluate how many customers are impacted and what impact it has on courses. I'm really sorry that I can't say when this issue will be fixed, but you're in the right place to stay updated on this bug's progress. 

Patrice Sigmon

Thank you, Ren. I've done more testing and get the same timer behavior (i.e., the third results slide timer runs the show) in every configuration I've tried:

• 3 random draws from same bank; draws and results slides are all in the same scene (this is the original configuration)
  • 3 random draws from same bank; draws and results slides are in separate scenes
  • 3 identical/separate question banks, 1 random draw from each; draws and results slides are in the same scene
  • 3 identical/separate question banks, 1 random draw from each; draws and results slides are in separate scenes

For obviously selfish reasons, I hope this bug will be fixed in a not-too-far-in-the-future update! ;-)

Becca Levan

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reaching out! I want to gather info to understand your project better so I can help.

• Have you added multiple results slides with different timer settings in your project?

If you're comfortable sharing your file here, I'd be happy to test this with you. Or, if you prefer, you can share it privately here for one of our support engineers to investigate!