Storyline 360 Text entry field: how to allow symbols

Dec 10, 2021

Hi Team,

Storyline 360: Is there a way I can allow a learner to type symbols and alphanumeric characters into a Data Entry field?

I'd like to create an activity where the learner will type a minimum of 10 characters into the Data Entry field and then submit their answer.  The entered data must contain characters that are a combination of alphanumeric and symbols.  The data entered should look something like this S3curity@1care

Thank you

7 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Chris!

It sounds like you've hit a snag when entering alphanumeric characters into a Data Entry field from your Storyline course. I'd be happy to help with that!

Text-entry fields do accept alphanumeric characters, so the '@' symbol should not cause any issues when being entered by the learner. I tested this out on my end (Storyline 360 ver 3.79.30834.0 via Windows Parallels on a Mac M1) with a Text Entry Freeform question slide. After entering a sample e-mail address the 'Correct' answer response was presented without issues.

TextEntry Slide

It would be helpful to take a closer look at the project file you've built out so far to determine what could be causing that behavior. You can share it here in the discussion or privately through a support case. We'll delete it from our system once we've finished troubleshooting!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Chris,

There's a chance that your organization's network might be preventing you from uploading the file as we still didn't receive it on our end. As an alternative, please open a case with our support team here so our support engineers can share alternative methods for sending your project file with you. 

You can also try uploading it to a public hosting environment such as Google Drive or Amazon S3 and share the download link with us here if this is an option for you.

Also, your contact information came through as well. This Peek video will show you how to edit it out if you’d like!