Storyline file won't open in Storyline 360 (It's asking me to upgrade):

Apr 19, 2018

Hi there,

We have been provided some Storyline files that we need to edit.  

When we try to open them, we get the following error message:

"This project uses features that are not available in this version of Storyline.  Please upgrade to the latest version in order to open this project."

We are running Articulate Sotryline with the latest Update installed.

I've read that some 360 projects will not be compatible with Storyline 3 however 360 will always open Storyline 3 projects so it should not be that.

I'd be ever so grateful if someone could assist.  Have we missed something obvious here?

12 Replies
Dan Bowden

Hi, I know this was post was a while ago but I'm having the same issue opening a file created originally in 360 but now needs to be opened and published from version 3.

Is there any way of being able to identify what features is causing the problem? I've updated or removed anything that I can by comparing versions (https://articulate.com/360/storyline#compare

I'm running Storyline 3 update 1 (which we need to use due to IE compatibility issues).

Also worth noting that it works ok in the latest version of Storyline 3.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Dan

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dan, 

With each Storyline 360 update, we've released successive Storyline 3 updates to help with compatibility. Storyline 3 is now on Update 4, so you'd need to use that version to open any files created in Storyline 360 latest update. Keep in mind, if you've enabled the modern player in Storyline 360 those files won't open in Storyline 3. 

Here's a bit more information about how we keep compatibility and that article we'll keep up to date based on our releases. 

John Smiddy

I'm having the same issue but I'm using SL 360 and opening an SL 360 file. My version is 3.10 and the version that created the file is the latest. I'd update but I can't right now. What's going on? Will SL360 not open newer SL 360 version files? Is this an issue with the Modern Player?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi John!

It sounds like the file you're trying to open uses one or more of the new features we've added since Update 10. You can check out a list of those new features on our version history page. Each item labeled New in that list is a new feature!

You'll want to update your software to be able to open the file – here's how! 

Suzanne Alexander

I need to open and review projects created by others, and am unable to open due to this error. I'm running both SL3 and SL360, and have attempted to install the latest version of 360. Although, I'm getting a message that "Articulate 360 has already been installed." So, I'm not really sure if it's installing the update. Still getting the "project won't open" error...

What is the work around for this? 

Vicki Finlay

Hi There 

We have had this problem today, although I am sharing a file with someone in the same business and we all use the same license.  We are all currently running the most up to date version.  I have asked other team members to access the file and they are all successful, apart from the person that is experiencing the problem.  I note that our error talks about theme colors?  

Jose Tansengco

Hi Vicki, 

Thanks for sharing the screenshot! 

The error in the screenshot indicates that the version of Storyline 360 being used to open the application is outdated. Please ask your colleague to update their Storyline 360 installation to fix the behavior. They'll want to make sure that they have Build 68 installed, as this is the most recent version we have available. 

Let me know if this works!

Vicki Finlay

Hi Joe
Thanks for coming back to me. I have asked my team mate to complete the latest update which appeared over the weekend. She has since uploaded this update and the module has launched successfully! Thank you 😊

Vicki Finlay
Technical Training Facilitator
Phone: 0800 SBS Bank
DDI: 03 211 1160
Mobile:
51 Don Street, Invercargill
PO Box 835, Invercargill
sbsbank.co.nz