Text Entry fields not setting when control loses focus in mobile devices (Storyline 360)

Feb 09, 2017

We've identified that text entry fields that are added to a slide using Storyline 360 do not register if the user enters a value and then immediately clicks a Submit button when using a mobile device. In order to get the value to register, the user needs to click outside the text entry field before clicking the Submit button.

On a MAC or PC, the text entry value does register when the Submit button is clicked.

Does anyone know of any workarounds, other than to provide instructions at the start of the course?

84 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Leonie, 

The issue discussed in this thread is still open, but I wanted to point out that the virtual keyboard needs to be visible in Safari and Google Chrome browsers for the numeric and text entry fields to not work properly. If this is the behavior that you're experiencing, note that we are still working on the issue. Here's a quick look at how we tackle bugs for your reference

If you're experiencing something else entirely, I'd recommend following the recommendation of my colleague Luciana to open a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening. 

Also, your contact information came through as well. This Peek video will show you how to edit it out if you’d like!

Shannon Hickey

Hi! I am still having the issue posted here. I have created a slide where users need to put in their name to move onto the rest of the course. It works in desktop, but will not let them move on a mobile device. Was this issue resolved? 

I attempted the JavaScript solution mentioned above and was not able to resolve the issue.

I will be publishing it to an LMS, but have currently just seen the issue in review. I am using Storyline version from June 22nd. 

Eric Santos

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for reaching out! We no longer see the bug where a Text Entry object will not set the value when the virtual keyboard is visible on a mobile device. I ran tests on Review 360 in this environment:

• The latest Storyline 360 version (Build 3.78.30680.0)
  • Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G device running Android 13 
  • Google Chrome for Android

Please see the short video below of my results. The virtual keyboard is visible, and I'm able to jump to the Next slide after typing something on the Text entry object.

test on an android device

Do you see the same results on your end using my Review 360 link? I attached the sample Storyline project I used for the test.

If the issue happens only in your project, we'd be happy to look at your setup to troubleshoot. You may upload it here as an attachment or privately in a support case. We'll delete it when we're done testing! Kindly share the device, OS version, and browser you're using as well.

Marion Soichot

Hi Storyline Staff :-),

I'm facing the same issue.

I have the last version of SL360. I have published my project on the Web and I created Submit Buttons to click once the user has entered text entries (so I removed the built-in Submit button). There can be three different text entries on one slide. I am using a Galaxy Tablet "Tab S4" and I launch my project on Google Chrome (the app is up to date).

One very annoying thing is that I need to use the small keyboard to enter text because when the classic, bigger one is enabled, the slides become very small and it's not possible anymore to read the text on the slides. The small keyboard is not very practical but it seems it's the only possible way to use SL360 on this tablet. (This problem might be more due to the device than SL, and I believe there is no solution here).

The second issue is the topic of this thread: when I enter text on the various text entries on the slides, I click Submit and it says I had the wrong answer even if the entries are correct. When I click a second time on Submit (I have 3 possible tries) without changing anything in the text entries, it says I'm good. I want it to work for the first try.

Last thing: my project is in French if you need to take a look!

I tested Sharon's file above and it seems to work, but my project is almost exclusively based on several text entries on my slides and a lot of variables that are connected from beginning to end. So it would mean to rebuild the entire project all over again and I cannot do that. I hope there is an explanation and a less painful solution since this issue has been known for several years now. Also, I tried to use Sharon's file to rebuild on of my own slide and it did not work.

The only thing I have in mind to solve this issue is to create another button the user should click on before clicking on the Submit Button to make the text loses focus, which is very inconvenient (too many clicks kill the clicks ;-) ).

If you have an idea, I would love some help. This drives me crazy! Thank you very much :-)

Jose Tansengco

Hello Marion, 

Happy to help!

It looks like you have specific configurations in your project file that we'll need to take a look if you have a different setup from Shannon. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Marion Soichot

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply and help!

I have just opened a support case (Case Number: 03811151) for this specific issue and I attached one slide to illustrate my problem. I translated the slide into English just to make it easier to understand. And an important note: in France, numbers are written using commas and not dots. I used text variables and not number variables as the results must have a positive or negative sign (and also because for other slides, I also need three decimals which is not possible with SL).

I have submitted another case for the same project as I also encounter an issue with the audio for this project (Case Number: 03811005). I attached the slide that does not work in the support case.

Thank you very much for your help :-)

Kelly Auner

Hi, Marion!

I see that my teammate, Chester, has been assigned to your support case (number 03811151). Once they are done testing your file, they will follow up with you via email.

In regards to your second case (number 03811005), my other teammate, Philam is working on that now! You should hear from them soon with their findings.