The published file has a line around images where they don't exist in the Storyline 360 source. Can anyone help?

Aug 27, 2022

I've attached clips from both the Storyline 360 source and the published version. This is one example of many that are making the output look horrible. Can anyone help me understand why this is happening and let me know what the solution is?

22 Replies
Jürgen Schoenemeyer

how are the images imported - "import image", copy from powerpoint, ... ?

which format are the images (jpg, png) ?
(it should png for your kind of images)

are the images importet with storyline version 3.62 or before ?
(there was a fix for import png - without transparency - in version 3.63, April 2022)

please upload a .story file with the problem - one slide is enough

Joe Ganci

Well, my idea didn't pan out. I thought I'd try creating a new file with three slides. On the first, I imported the slide from PPT. On the second, I copied elements out of PPT and then pasted into SL. On the third, I exported the images from PPT and imported them into SL.

All three look fine. Could it be a setting in the file or perhaps there's corruption? I really am not sure.

I've attached the one slide requested. Jürgen or anyone who can help, please let me know.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

you have problems with the storyline feature "zoom image"

I have disabled one of the four zoom functions, here is the result

=> the storyline convert from the 100% size to the preview image does not work properly

you should open a support case

send them
 - your one slide example
   TIP
: if you save .story 2x after deleting slides, the filesize will be reduced extrem (121 MB -> 3 MB)

- a link to this thread

Jürgen

here are some technical infos for the support
 - the resize function for creating "zoom preview image" for PNG images has a bug

here the publish folder "mobile/"

- 4 original PNGs
 - 4 created JPG (Shape... .jpg)

6kGf6jo89Iz.png (fullsize): no border

Shape6n3qsB6FE5j.jpg (genereated by storyline while publishing): with grey border

UPDATE:  attachment -> minimal example (created with 3.67) with one zoom picture

result:
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/c5e0628e-a430-4c30-9584-117c576ef5d0/review

Joe Ganci

Again, thanks. I've determined now that this is happening only on those that have the zoom option. It's happening on every one of them except for one, which I find intriguing. I'll check with my client as to how important this is to them. Cropping some of them will be difficult because the image goes right to the edges, which means I'll have to take into Photoshop, make the stage a little bigger than the image, then crop the resulting image.

Thanks again!

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

another fix - add a outline with borderwidth 1px

result: left without border, right with border 1px white

and now something very strange

now the small preview is an PNG with transparency, not a JPEG

(scaled screenshot in photoshop of the Shape.. .png)

result:
border none         -> small preview is JPG with grey border
border 1px white -> small preview is PNG with transparency

the articulate developers should really check their scaling routine

Jürgen

Eric Santos

Hello there, Richard!

I'm happy to jump in here! Jürgen's right; the best way we can recommend a possible solution is to see the affected Storyline project and the irregularly shaped *.png file. 

If you prefer to share them privately, you may do so by uploading them in a support case, in which case, our Support Engineers will be working with you one-on-one. We'll delete them when we're done troubleshooting!

Richard Slate

Thanks for the quick reply.  Before uploading the requested assets, I tried a few methods of exporting the png from Photoshop.  I like to use the legacy export as it allows for more export options.  However in the recent version of Photoshop, the legacy export is creating the white line.  The white lines aren't visible using the newer export tool. 

My apologies.  I thought I'd post this because there may be others having the same issue caused by Photoshop.