Video with transparent background in Storyline 360

Jul 14, 2017

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a video clip with a transparent background into Storyline 360 and if so, what format did you use so that 360 maintains the transparency.

Thanks
Dave

92 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Oliver! 

Can you tell us a little more about what you're looking to do? Do you want to adjust the background of an existing video to be transparent?

While this currently isn't a feature, it's helpful to know what folks are looking for as we consider new features for the future. 

And to share your thoughts directly with our product team, you can submit a feature request here!

Oliver Eisele

Hi Alyssa,
I want to record a person in front of a green screen and then put this video into my Storyline course. I expected, that I can make the green transparent in SL...
In the Content Library are many videos with a green background - can I make those videos transparent in SL?

Thx for help!
Regards
Oliver

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for that context, Oliver!

You'll want to use a third party tool to make the background of your video transparent before inserting it in Storyline. 

And as it stands now, Storyline supports transparent videos in Flash only. In that case, you would want to publish with Flash first and be sure the learners view the course in a Flash-enabled browser. 

Thanks for letting us know what improvements you'd like to see in future versions of Storyline!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tyler,

What is the file type you see from Adobe Premier or Aftereffects? As Alyssa mentioned we support the FLV videos, but not in the HTML5 output, as it'll re-encode as MP4s. 

MP4/H.264 file types don't support transparency in the same way that an FLV video does with alpha channel. Another video format that does support transparency is the .webm video format, but since IE, Safari and Mobile Safari don't support that, we haven't included it in Storyline or Studio. 

If there is another file type or feature we're missing, I'd love to know more about it. Feel free to share here or send along details to our Product team as a feature request!

JJ Adams

It's a clunky workaround, but you can drop the flash video with the transparency on your slide with whatever elements onscreen that you need showing through while it's playing and then do a screen recording to get an mp4. Then go back in and hide/replace all of the elements with the mp4.

For example, let's say you have a flash file of a flame animation that you want to have play on top of a building to make it look like the building is on fire. You can view the flash output of that slide and do a screen recording of it. Then go back in and hide/replace the flash animation and building and use the mp4 of the screen recording instead. This doesn't really apply to green screen though.

Justin Vaillancourt

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the awesome program Storyline is, but I've found threads from 8 years ago asking for this feature.  Loss of Flash support has been knowledge for a long time now.

This seems like such a basic feature, even POWERPOINT supports movies with alpha, so sad after all this time this hasn't been added.  I use alpha with Powerpoint all the time, just seems inexcusable there isn't Storyline support after all this time and all these requests.  See my attached file showing alpha movie support in Powerpoint.

I see a ton of requests for an alpha video feature that I could very much benefit from as well.  Video content creators can really bring their storyline lessons to the next level with alpha video and the lack of support really handcuffs us as content creates to just have such basic animation when we know we can do so much more.  PLEASE add support for:
Quicktime MOV - ProRes 4444 codec with alpha
Quicktime MOV - Animation codec with alpha
AVI - with alpha

Lauren Connelly

Hi Justin!

I appreciate you adding these details and sharing the need for this feature! I understand how supporting alpha video would be impactful for video content creators to elevate their Storyline courses. That's helpful to know!  I've added your comments to our feature report to share with our team. I'll update you in this discussion when we have more information about supporting alpha video in Storyline.

Justin Vaillancourt

Honestly I'm pretty new to Storyline, and after working with it for a few weeks, I suspect the reason they haven't added this feature after so long is because video elements to not play well at all with Storyline's interactive elements.  I tried to get creative and create all my animation prior and then just use Storyline to overlay any interactive elements I needed and it was a disaster.  Really buggy and slow.  The second I changed out all the backgrounds for JPGs instead of movies it worked fine.