Forum Discussion

ShannonConnor
Community Member
3 months ago

Best Practice for asking if user is using a screen reader on slide 1.1

I have a question about setting up a course correctly from the get-go in Storyline. I have placed an invisible checkbox on Slide 1.1 that says, “Please check the box if you are using a screen reader.” When checked,  my “Screen_Reader_yes” variable sets to “1”. and from slide 1.2 onward a trigger will stop the audio if Screen_Reader_yes equals 1. I understand all of this, but what I’m not sure of is how to deal with the autoamtically playing narration on Slide 1.1. Sighted users (and my client) expect to hear 1.1’s audio narration right away and automatically. But shouldn’t I give it time so a screen reader can read my checkbox question? I tried putting a minimal slide for 1.1 that was silent and prompted users to click Next to begin, thus allowing a pause for screen reader users to check the box, but the client didn’t like it. I also tried a 2-second pause on 1.1 to give a screen reader time to check the box, but the client didn't like that, either (and neither did I, really). So how do you handle this? What is best practice?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Shannon, if I understand you correctly, the problem you're facing is that the screen reader is reading out the slide text OVER THE TOP of the actual slide audio.

Is that correct?