Forum Discussion

KirstenFalch
Community Member
9 days ago

Can I make a quiz result control object state?

I am creating an "escape room"-game. I have a manor with six rooms. Each room has multiple objects you can click on and each object leads to some questions on a given subject. When the object-questions has been answered, you return to the room and the object changes to a complete-state. You can then go on and click on the next object in the room, which lead to a new set of questions. When you have visited all objects, you go to the result-slide, and - if you have answers enough questions correctly, you receive a key to use on one of six padlocks to get out of the manor.

I would like to control the state change. If the student has not answered the object-questions correctly to a passing grade, the state has to remain 'incomplete' signaling to the student, that he/she has to have another go at the questions. As of now, the student has to play the whole scene through once more.
It is on purpose that I've chosen not to give feedback on questions during the quiz as the game has to serve as a kind of exam and thus is allowed to be difficult.

Ideas on how to do this would be much appreciated  :-)

Oh, and if any of you should take a closer look at the attached image, it's a game made for students (radiographers and technologists) in nuclear medicine - and it's in Danish.

• You could track whether questions were answered correctly via using T/F variables.

• For each question, create a T/F variable with a default value of False. That will represent an incorrect answer. 
    • On each question, add a trigger that changes the associated variable to True with the condition(s) that the correct answer(s) = Selected. This trigger should run when the user submits their answer. Be sure it comes before any trigger that jumps to another slide (for example, the standard Submit interaction trigger on question slides). 
    • On your results slide, use the value of the T/F variables to control whether the associated padlock changes opens or not.

t’s worth the effort to learn about variables and trigger conditions, because they provide the real power in Storyline. Here’s more information:

• You could track whether questions were answered correctly via using T/F variables.

• For each question, create a T/F variable with a default value of False. That will represent an incorrect answer. 
    • On each question, add a trigger that changes the associated variable to True with the condition(s) that the correct answer(s) = Selected. This trigger should run when the user submits their answer. Be sure it comes before any trigger that jumps to another slide (for example, the standard Submit interaction trigger on question slides). 
    • On your results slide, use the value of the T/F variables to control whether the associated padlock changes opens or not.

t’s worth the effort to learn about variables and trigger conditions, because they provide the real power in Storyline. Here’s more information:

KirstenFalch
      Community Member

I just tried it out, and - as you said it would, it works  Thanks  😊

I am already using variables, but had not connected quiz results and -answers with new variables.

The new challenge for me is the number of variables. I am now using 43 different variables and this will be at least 3 times as many when I am finished, but it will be an amazing escape room game 👍

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

That's a lot of variables! Be sure to give the variables—as well as the objects and layers— meaningful names. That will help a lot with programming and troubleshooting.

Good luck with the project!