Forum Discussion

TILAssistant
Community Member
6 years ago

Character diversity

I am working on a set of Storyline training scenarios that require a diverse set of characters. I am currently using the classic-illustrated characters that come with Articulate 360. However, pilot testing/equity reviews have suggested that it would be better if the characters better represented our community. We are looking for characters with different sizes and shapes. We are also looking for characters that are more gender-neutral. I have already submitted a feature request. Has anyone had luck finding more diverse characters? Or, building them? Thanks!

Jerson-Campos
    Community Member

Honestly, if you want specific characters, you'll probably have to hire an illustrator to create custom characters for you. Articulate, or anyone else for that matter, really won't be able to create characters that would fit everyone's needs. Take police officer characters.  In the US alone, officers from every state where different uniforms and patches. While they may look similar enough to fool someone that isn't in Law Enforcement and you could put a generic officer in most courses, you won't be able to do that for courses in that industry. They'll spot the small details immediately. 

• Hi Everyone,

Great news! We released an update for Articulate 360, which included some new photographic and illustrated characters to the Content Library, with a focus on diversity. Take a peek at all the new additions in the release notes here.

And because the Content Library is a web app, no need to install any updates. The new characters are immediately available to all Articulate 360 users!

We’ll keep sharing your feedback with our team as we continue increasing character diversity!

• Glad to see that Articulate is expanding the library to include more diverse characters.  Would it be possible to add some more Asian representation and younger professional characters into the library?  Also in the spirit of inclusion, it would be nice to see representation of characters of different abilities as well. 

• I would like to see some female characters wearing a hijab if that is possible and potentially a Sikh male character as well.  I wanted to allow users to select a character that matches themselves but as we have a diverse workforce I am unable to use the current character set which is a shame.  Any idea whether this is on the cards?

• Hello- is there a consideration for physical disabilities or children being added to the characters?  

• Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for reaching out!

We currently have a feature request logged for Children and teen characters to be added to the Content Library, and for Photographic characters with a physical impairment to be added. I will certainly add your vote to each of these requests.

Including a diverse set of characters in the Content Library is crucial, and we appreciate feedback from our customers on characters you would like to see added or changed. I have linked you to the feature request, and we will be sure to update you with any news should this make it onto our feature roadmap.