Forum Discussion

HelenTyson-16e0
Community Member
15 days ago

Reporting number variable to LMS

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to track a number variable in the LMS using the Short Answer workaround. As it's a number, I've tried using the How Many option instead, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is this an issue with this work around, or is it likely I've done something else incorrectly? 

Thanks in advance! 

Joe

• Hello Joe - you really do need to use the Short Answer survey question type for this method to work.

The process is a little backward, but once you figure it out it makes sense. Let me know if you'd like to connect and work through the details. 

HelenTyson-16e0
      Community Member

Thanks for your reply, Brian - ah, that's frustrating. Would the How Many option not work the same way as the Short Answer? 

How would I go about doing that, as it's a number variable? 

BrianAllen-LNRS
        Community Member

What is your use case for what you're trying to accomplish? Note that your standard test/quiz questions that are attached to a results slide will automatically pass their values to your LMS.

A use case for this process might be something like a custom-built interaction, that will produce a result you want to record in your LMS, but because it's not a standard quiz question you need to use this work around.

In this scenario, you would store your value in a variable (whatever type of variable fits your data). Then you would use the process described at the link Judy shared in her comment above, create a hidden short answer survey question, create a trigger to populate the answer of that survey question with the variable from your custom-built interaction, and then add that survey question to the results slide for your course.