Forum Discussion

LewFairbrother
Community Member
3 days ago

Unable to add Custom Number Variable to Short Survey Text Entry (Storyline 360)

Hi, I'm trying to add a Custom Number Variable (ActivistSCORE) as an answer to the Short Answer Survey Text Entry, but the variable doesn't appear in the Trigger Wizard. I tried inserting the variable as a Reference (%ActivistSCORE%) but when I get to the result slide I only see the Reference text, not the number value. 

I was able to add a Text Variable without any trouble. Not sure what I'm missing here. 

The trigger I'm trying to set up is:

"Set ActivistScoreEntry to variable ActivistSCORE (Number) When the timeline starts on this slide" 

However, ActivistSCORE doesn't appear - please see attached. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

• I believe the issue is that you're trying to assign a text entry to a numeric variable value. Replace your text entry field with a numeric entry field and it likely will work.

SteveGannon
    Community Member

I believe the issue is that you're trying to assign a text entry to a numeric variable value. Replace your text entry field with a numeric entry field and it likely will work.

LewFairbrother
      Community Member

Steve, thank you!! This is where I was going wrong! I replaced the Short Survey Answer slide with a How Many slide and can now see the variable. 

Now I just need to test I can see the data reported on our LMS. I've noticed the 'How Many' survey question, doesn't automatically jump to the next slide when the trigger submits the interaction when timeline starts, whereas it does for the Short Survey questions. Not sure if this is intended but as long as it reports to the LMS I don't care. 

LewFairbrother
        Community Member

I want to confirm Steve's answer was the solution I was looking for! I changed the Short Survey (Text Entry) Interaction to a How Many (Numeric Entry) Interaction and could display the numbered variables and report the data in our LMS. 

For anyone interested here are the triggers I used. 

•  

Re-check Your References: Sometimes, typos or case sensitivity can lead to issues. Ensure that you're referencing the variables with the exact names as they appear in the variables panel.

AI: Please note that SL does not allow for the typing of variable names, nor entering the types (anyplace except on creation). Selecting the names from a drop-down menu is the only way to reference variables.

However if you name them poorly, it is possible to be confused by similar names, and choose the wrong one.