Forum Discussion

JessiKoloski
Community Member
6 months ago

Variables used onscreen disappear when browser is resized

I have a question counter set up in a randomized question bank using variables and with the latest update (March 22nd, 2024 - 3.86.32080.0) if I have that slide onscreen, in preview OR viewing the SCORM, and resize the browser the entire text box disappears. I have the counter set up in Master Slides, but I tested it on the base layer and still had the same issue. I also tried it on a normal slide, not in a question bank, and had the same results.

I tried to revert back to a previous version on the articulate app and its erroring out. I cant uninstall either. I tried their troubleshooting options for the uninstall issue as well. 

• Hello Jessi!

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.88.32474.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Variable values disappeared after resizing the browser or preview window. 

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions on Update 88, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

• Hi Jessi, 

Thanks so much for reaching out! 

We are currently tracking a bug where "The value of the dynamic variable placeholder disappears after resizing the browser or Storyline 360 preview".

I have gone ahead and added your voice to this report so we can notify you as soon as we have a fix available. Here's a quick look at how we tackle bugs for your reference. We apologize if this bug has slowed you down in any way.

• Hello Jessi!

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.88.32474.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• Variable values disappeared after resizing the browser or preview window. 

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions on Update 88, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

RoderickOver488
      Community Member

Hello Luciana, unfortunately we need to add our names to the list awaiting the fix for this display variables bug.  We're experiencing it in Edge (Version 128.0.2739.54).  I'm unable to reinstall the February version which it looks like does not exhibit this problem.  I'm only able to go back to the March version where this problem was first reported for.  Is there any known versions between March and the current version known to not exhibit this bug?  Thanks!

KelseyBrennan-1
        Community Member

Hi Roderick, our team has been using the June 6, 2024 version in the interim which we've found to work fine. Hopefully that one can work for you too? Best of luck.

JakeHurt
    Community Member

Hi Luciana,

I can confirm the issue is still present in the most recent release of storyline.

Thanks

Jake

JakeHurt
    Community Member

I rolled back to the February version and the variables dont vanish, update to most recent and they vanish again.

1: Can you TRY and test your updates before rolling them out
    2: If you claim you've fixed a bug, can you ACTUALLY fix it

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Jake,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I tested the issue and you are correct - the bug can still be observed when tested using the most recent version of Storyline 360. We'll consider the bug open and recheck the issue on our end. 

We're really sorry for the trouble this bug has caused, especially as it was thought to be fixed. We've brought it to our developer's attention and will update you as soon as possible. 

JessiKoloski
      Community Member

YES THANK YOU Jake!

Been working with Storyline since 2015 and my whole team is like "what did they break or not fix this time" with every update. 

JakeHurt
    Community Member

Yes we have the same issue! Every time an update comes through we usually assign 1 person to update so we can see if something else has broken.

The number of times updates have actually broken things in our courses is insane, we shouldn't have to beta test Articulate updates in our team before rolling them out purely because Articulate CLEARLY don't do it themselves.

Especially when you increase the price of the subscriptions, can you please tell me what exactly we are paying for?

JessiKoloski
      Community Member

We do the EXACT same thing, we have been testing updates with one person for years, then giving the go ahead to the rest of the team. 

We have also stayed back on older versions for months waiting for fixes. 

• Issue with Reference Variable dissappearing when Opening/Closing player Menu or when I resize the browser window.

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with a reference variable in my Storyline 360 project.

Here's the situation:

Local Testing:

• When I run the module by clicking the story.html file locally after publishing, the reference text box displays correctly on the screen. But when i resize the browser window the reference variable text box disappears.

SCORM Cloud:

• After uploading the LMS SCORM ZIP file to the SCORM Cloud website, I launch the module. The course tries to open in a new window automatically.
    • When I open or close the player menu, the reference text box that is supposed to display on the screen disappears. 
    • Additionally, when I resize the browser window, the reference variable text also disappears.

Additional Details:

• I used latest Storyline Version: 3.90.32893.0 (July 20, 2024)
    • I've attached a video demonstrating the issue.

Have any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thank you for your help!

Community Discuss URL created: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/issue-with-reference-variable-dissappearing-when-opening-closing-player-menu-in-scorm-cloud 

JakeHurt
      Community Member

Hi Eswarkumar, 

I 'fixed' the issue by rolling back my Storyline version to the February version. It was after this date they broke it.

Hopefully now that Articulate are aware they failed to fix something they'll actually fix it this time.

Thanks

• Please add my voice to this - we really need this fixed ASAP as it directly impacts our learner's experience and progression through our courses. We are also using an older version as a temporary workaround but are increasingly concerned about potential security risks the longer this goes on. Thanks.

JakeHurt
    Community Member

Hi,

I updated my version and cleared the cache.

And the issue is still present. Good job Articulate! Fortunately, I anticipated this and did this on my test machine and not where I am doing client work or we would have a very angry client. I tried to attach a video of the issue but apparently we aren't allowed to do that now.

Thanks

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Jake,

Just letting you and everyone else subscribed to this thread know that the bug is still open on our end. We apologize for the inconvenience. We're currently working on a fix and we'll leave a message here as soon as it is released. 

We also made changes to the platform so can now upload video files (MP4s, MOVs) as attachments in your responses. 

JakeHurt
        Community Member

Hi Jose,

Do you think it would be possible for Articulate to CHECK that things are fixed before telling customers that things are fixed. We shouldn't have to confirm for you whether things are fixed or not. I'M TRYING TO DO MY JOB.

PLEASE DO YOURS.