Forum Discussion

JeffFuqua
Community Member
11 years ago

eLearning, E-learning, E-Learning or e-Learning?

Anyone know which is correct?

Alison-L
    Community Member

Okay, so a lot of this discussion seems to be focused around the use (or not) of the hypen between "e" and "learning."

However, given the number of job titles that now BEGIN with ... it. Is there now a generally accepted way to call oneself , for example, which would it now be considered... 

E-learning Developer ?
    E-Learning Developer ?
    eLearning Developer ?
    e-Learning Developer ?

( I recently got busted for calling myself an eLearning Instructional Designer, but then, two jobs later....  Elearning Developer... in my resume, and I/m trying to correct it)

THANKS!

Alison

JohnCurran
    Community Member

Tried REALLY hard to resist joining in on this thread but as it's a term I have to use every day the inconsistency of use is annoying to say the least. Clearly like all languages English is constantly developing but making stuff up just so you can be consistent in your own organisation is not a brilliant way to go.

Hyphenation is an accepted solution in English for creating new hybrid words. E-mail and e-learning are examples where the hyphen has a role to play. See below:

"As ‘e’ represents ‘electronic’, e-mail is formed from two words, so this suggests that we should not then run one into the other to form ‘email’. It is a compound noun, where the first adjectival element is reduced to a single letter, just like T-bone steak and not Tbone!" Source: http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar-tip/is-it-e-mail-email-e-mail-or-email/

Most dictionaries seem to use e-learning as the main entry but list other spellings too. Eventually these words might lose their hyphens - email for example is listed in the OED as email with e-mail listed as an alternative usage so clearly in that case the tipping point has been reached. 

I personally prefer to keep the hyphen, for now at least, but what I really don't like (and Tom Kuhlmann agrees) is 'eLearning' or indeed 'e-Learning'. There is no precedent in the English language (wherever you are on planet Earth) for inserting a capital letter into a noun. This is something only marketing people do when dreaming up trendy new product names!

JohnCurran
    Community Member

Nice image Nancy...and either works for me...as long as that capital 'L' doesn't make an appearance out of that crater!

Kimhofmann
    Community Member

Any update on eLearning, elearning, e-Learning?  I'm updating my website and I wondered what is most accepted and also what might be best for SEO.

Thanks.

NancyWoinoski
      Super Hero

I think the point of this discussion is that it doesn't matter what you use as long as you are consistent.

• I agree with what others are saying about consistency being the most important thing. But for me, it boils down to the usage for other similar terms.  When is the last time you saw "e-mail" or "eMail?"  The simple spelling and case for "email" is now widely accepted.  The similar spelling and case for "ebook" and other similar terms have now also become common. 

I feel like it's time for elearning to follow suit, but this is just my personal preference.  I have a hard time using the spelling and case "e-learning" or "eLearning" if I'm not also going to use "e-mail" or "eMail."

WaleedAlani
    Community Member

Grammarly.com indicates that using "elearning" (without a hyphen) is incorrect and recommends using "e-learning" instead. For titles and headings, Grammarly.com recommends using "E-Learning."

JoeFrancis
    Community Member

This reminds me of the nomenclature "debate" a generation ago surrounding the communication medium used to develop and deliver content, via computer, which incorporates a combination of audio, video, text, still images, animation, and interactivity. Is it "multi-media," "Multimedia," "MultiMedia," or "multimedia?" 😃