Forum Discussion

ID4WiscState
Community Member
8 hours ago

Focus Order & Feedback Layers

I do a lot of accessibility testing with NVDA on my courses, and there is one major inconsistency that I cannot figure out. What determines if a feedback layer will read before or after I press the submit button? 

So when you author a question but don't mess with the focus order, the "try again", "incorrect", and "correct" feedback layer items are at the top of the focus order.

When you publish the content and read the slide with a screen reader, the action following the submit action is inconsistent. Sometimes the focus jumps to the feedback layer, but sometimes the focus wants to continue down the feedback layer, and you have to up-arrow to get to the feedback layer.

I know there are a lot of variables at play. You could create a button on the screen that triggers a submit action, or you could use the submit button. You could apply a layout, or you could build an interactivity from scratch. You could use the feedback master layouts, or you could build custom feedback masters...

I have done all sorts of these, but I repeatedly return to having to test each individual question and tweaking the focus order with no blanket best practice. For a long time, I was seeing that questions without a score needed their feedback layer content at the bottom of the focus order, but questions with a score needed their feedback layer content at the top of the focus order; but that general rule is now out the window.

Have you seen a pattern?

No RepliesBe the first to reply