Forum Discussion

SophiePILLOT
Community Member
21 days ago

Going back to the last saved position of a slider

Hello to all

I'm sorry in advance if this question has already been asked, but I've searched in the forum without success.

In my project, the idea is to describe a process. So I chose to use a slider. I created a base layer A with a slider that lets you navigate through several layers representing the stages of the process (A1, A2, etc). On these layers, there are buttons that take you to other base layers (B, C, etc). 

Here's an example to help you understand my problem: 
- I'm on layer A2, my slider is on position 2, I click on a button which takes me to base layer B.
- I'm now on base layer B. I click on a button which takes me back to the base layer A. And here is the problem: the slider indicates that I've stopped at position 2, but the layer shown is that of position 1. I'd like the learner to be able to see on the screen the step he's stopped at when he returns to the base layer A (cursor in the right position + layer corresponding to the cursor position).

Thank you in advance for your help!

• The position of a slider can be changed two ways: 

• The user drags the slider thumb to another position
    • A trigger adjusts the slider's variable 

It's hard to tell from your description exactly what's going wrong. It sounds like there might be a trigger that changes the position. Or the problem could be a trigger for showing a layer. 

Troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue.

Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.

By the way, a slide has one "base layer," which is also just called "the base." The other layers are just "layers." So it's a bit confusing to say you have "other base layers" on one slide. Instead, I suggest saying "set" or "subset" of layers in this situations like this.

SophiePILLOT
      Community Member

Thank you for your answer Judy. And sorry for using the wrong words, I wanted to be as clear as possible but I guess I failed... 😅

You'll find my .story file below. It's in French, by the way, but text isn't important.

I kept step 8 as an example of the problem.

What I meant is that, when I go to an other slide (process_etape8), and then go back to the slide with the slider (process_curseur), the slider thumb stays on the 8th position but I see the layer of the 1st position. When I'm on "process_etape8" and then go back to "process_curseur", I want to see "calq_etape8".

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

Thanks for taking the time to clean up your .story file to only include what's needed for troubleshooting. And thanks for clarifying that the layers had buttons to jump to other slides. I had misunderstood it as jumping to other layers on the same slide.

So here's what I found by looking at your file.

Layer 1 shows when the user returns to the slide because there's a trigger to show that layer when the timeline starts

• The fix: Add a condition to the trigger so it only happens if the value of the slider's variable = 1. (Note: In my edited version of the file, I also changed the trigger to happen when the timeline of the slide starts, rather than the timeline of the slider.) 

The Slide Properties were set to "Automatically decide" when the user revisits. That's a great options for question slides that use built-in functions. But for custom interactions, the program doesn't always make the best decision. It was deciding to not show any layers on revisiting. 

• The fix: I set the Slide Properties to "Resume saved state." 

Those changes are done in the attached file. I also added a trigger to show layer 1 when the slider moves if the value = 1. That allows someone to return to step 1 if they want to. 

One more note: there's a trigger that changes the continue/next button to Normal when the slide moves if the value = 10. That means the button will be Normal even if the user immediately moves the slider to 10 (without stopping at the other numbers). If you want to require the user to view all the steps, I suggest using variables to track their progress. You can find details in the demo file for this post Controlling the Next Button.