Forum Discussion

profesoraCG
Community Member
17 days ago

How can I view layers added to a video to determine placement of added symbols/etc.?

Hello! Quite new, and have searched prior Qs, but not seeing my precise issues. Apologies if this has been answered before.

I created a video from my desktop and now I would like to periodically add arrows or circles to point to or emphasize things I am referring to. I already have my cue points.

However, I can't figure out how to see my arrow layer at the same time I see the video at the corresponding cue point to figure out where to place the arrow. If I select both layers, I can see them both at once, but the arrow is not clickable or movable unless I select that layer alone - but when I do that, the video base layer just goes back to the beginning so I'm left guessing where on the screen the arrow needs to be. 

I've found tutorials for adding layers to videos but they don't address this sort of precision placement at all, rather just the kinds of triggers, etc.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you for any guidance you can offer!

• As you've discovered, Storyline isn't designed to allow editing a layer while viewing the base at a specific point in the timeline.

One simple workaround would be to do this:

• Pause the base timeline at the appropriate point.
    • Add and/or adjust Guides to indicate where the object on the layer should appear or point to. (The checkbox for showing Guides is on the VIEW ribbon.)
    • On the layer, add the desired object so it "fits" to the Guides. 
    • Repeat as needed for each layer. 

Or just add and position a given object on the base layer, and then cut and paste it onto the appropriate layer. 

Keep in mind that the FORMAT ribbon shows X & Y coordinates. Those can also come in handy for precise positioning.

Ange
    Community Member

Hi, the first thing that comes to mind is that it could be a problem with how the slide layer properties have been set.  https://community.articulate.com/kb/user-guides/storyline-360-working-with-layers/1137567

profesoraCG
      Community Member

I've set the layers correctly for the user experience (following other guides!) so I don't have a problem with how they behave while being played back - my issue is in the editing/design view.

How can I see the base layer, at the corresponding cue point, while actively editing the layer above (that has the arrows or circles)? I don't see anything in the link you provided, unfortunately (thank you for posting it, though) - the base layer IS set to visible. The problem is that even if I go to the base layer and advance it to the needed cue point, once I click to the arrow layer, the base layer view reverts back to the beginning. 

Ange
        Community Member

Hi, The problem could be any number things. Can you attach the story file? Seeing how you set it up it would make it easier to troubleshoot.

• As you've discovered, Storyline isn't designed to allow editing a layer while viewing the base at a specific point in the timeline.

One simple workaround would be to do this:

• Pause the base timeline at the appropriate point.
    • Add and/or adjust Guides to indicate where the object on the layer should appear or point to. (The checkbox for showing Guides is on the VIEW ribbon.)
    • On the layer, add the desired object so it "fits" to the Guides. 
    • Repeat as needed for each layer. 

Or just add and position a given object on the base layer, and then cut and paste it onto the appropriate layer. 

Keep in mind that the FORMAT ribbon shows X & Y coordinates. Those can also come in handy for precise positioning.

profesoraCG
      Community Member

Oh, I'll be darned; I never knew Guides were a thing! But I've looked it up and it's quite easy.

You are also right in that when you copy-paste something, it stays in the same location as where you started from - that's a pretty obvious solution and I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of something so simple. Thank you!