Forum Discussion

CathyCleek
Community Member
23 days ago

Identify broken links--Software?

Our training team has 100s of courses we have created. Most of them contain internal and external web links. We would like to purchase a tool that can scan our .story files to identify any broken links. 

Has anyone found a product (or using a product) that does this scan for you?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cathy Cleek

Sacramento, CA

JesseWu
    Community Member

To me that sounds like:

1. Iterate the entire folder where holds all courses
    2. Iterate every story.html, or other files needed, in all sub-folders and return with all hyperlinks from <data-url> tags, or other tags include one
    3. Run the entire link bulk with a link checker. Might be slightly tricky because by automation, it is easy to recognize a 404, but it may be harder to recognize when the link works, but the content I want is not there now.

Talk to an indy Python programmer if you don't have a in-house one. They might have tools to develop an one-stop shop to all requirements above.

• In another discussion (Broken Links Checker), Stephen Miller said his team uses Integrity for Mac to check their courses' HTML for "broken links, 404s, and redirects." 

If anyone knows about other software for this, I hope they'll provide that info. 

VictoriaBeale
    Community Member

I am also interested in this information.  We currently have an intern going back through our 700+ courses to create spreadsheets of the links contained in each course so we can easily check them without having to go through the course itself.